Design Within Reach

www.dwr.com
There are newer employer reviews for Design Within Reach

Relaxed atmosphere and kind people - confused about prior reviews

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Design Within Reach full-time

Pros

Kind, funny CEO who casually jokes with employees and seems genuinely interested in how you're doing. Bosses who don't micro-manage. Get to work with huge names in the design industry. I came in with zero experience in the industry but I work hard and I feel that is very valued there.

Cons

Some groups DO like to gossip and don't seem concerned with being overheard.

There must be a way to improve employee morale. I honestly didn't know so many people were dissatisfied with the company.

49 Other Employee Reviews for Design Within Reach (View Most Recent)

Sinking ship...jump off now!

Current Employee - Studio Proprietor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Studio Proprietor in New York, NY

I have been working at Design Within Reach full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Much of the furniture is beautiful.

Cons

Design Within Reach was a brilliant and forward thinking concept as conceived and implemented by Rob Forbes. It's was an amazing place to work and shop for many years. That is no longer the case. When the economy tanked they had no plan, they insisted on keeping open dozens of stores that never made goal and maintaining outrageous sales goals for the entire company. To maintain the goals on paper the sales team and management did unimaginable and unethical things to make it appear as if they were meeting goals. When it finally fell apart they sold the company to Glenhill Capital (a hedge fund that also owns Restoration Hardware). They then proceeded to replace all management with 'old buddies' who have no training or interest in design and no respect for fellow human beings. They assembled an HR team that immediately converted all policies to something that resembles an employee handbook from Kmart. They implemented a myriad of ridiculous concepts which plague the entire low-end retail world. Clocking in and out, scheduling breaks, tardy slips, layer upon layer of managers and In general treating adults as though they are irresponsible children. You may as well work in fast food or any other big box retail at this point. Stay away from this mess as it fades into the land retail nonsense. Also shop directly with the manufacturers of authentic pieces of furniture. You will always get a better price, better shipping and a better experience than shopping at Design Within Reach. The sales team has no motivation anymore to help you select beautiful design. They just lie and sell you the most expensive option that is 'in stock' in their warehouse. You will never get an honest answer from anyone at this company.

Open your eyes and realize that you are destroying the only great thing that Design Within Reach had going for it. The morale, commitment and skill of its employees. That has has tarnished the company image forever and will eventually show in your numbers.

Would rather be unemployed than work at DWR

Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Design Within Reach full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good location if you live in Connecticut and you like design, but don't want to move up in a company.

Cons

The workplace atmosphere is very clique-centered and people don't value one another for who they are or the work they do. Human Resources is either oblivious to the complete lack of incompetence (espc. in the Operations Department) or they don't care enough to be promoting the right people. I had a very unfortunate encounter with my superior, which involved harassment. When HR found out about the incident, they told me it wasn't what I thought it was and scolded me for even bringing it up. The behavior at DWR is completely deplorable. Never work there.

Overhaul the Operations Department and pay attention to people who work in departments aside from Merchandising.

There are newer employer reviews for Design Within Reach