There are newer employer reviews for Design Within Reach

Greatest Job Experience I've Had!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I worked at Design Within Reach part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is perfect, the company is growing, everyone is nice to work with. Interior growth is totally within reach at Design Within Reach.

Cons

The only issues are that people seem to be posting some inaccurate reviews on this website.

Advice to Management

They should continue to expand on the goals of the company.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Poorly Managed Company

Current Employee - Account Executive in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Design Within Reach full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy going CEO, decent employee discounts..for those employees who could actually afford the cost of the furniture even at a discounted price!

Cons

Poor management in the Stamford Headquarters, unqualified and inexperienced individuals hold titles without proper training. High turnover rate due to declining sales and overpriced product for today's economy. Various cliques in the Stamford location, which in turn comes with a bunch of annoying gossip throughout the departments. To put it simply, it is not about how hard you work at DWR, rather which employees you have on your good side.

Advice to Management

Give credit to those who actually work hard, stop favoring those who do not deserve it; just because they are friendly with employees that of high rank. Hire individuals who have enough experience and are competent enough to complete their duties. Properly train new hires to their assigned position to avoid more mess & disorganization for the company.

Worst job experience of my life; fired for being hospitalized for three days

Former Employee - Corporate Receptionist in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Corporate Receptionist in Stamford, CT

I worked at Design Within Reach full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Convenient commute, nothing more than that.

Cons

HR department is extremely unprofessional- the company does not even deserve one star after the way I was treated. Good luck to the next individual who fills my position. Have fun doing everyone's dishes and making coffee.

Advice to Management

Baffled as to how the Human Resource department won the "2012 HR Team of the Year Award" when I was fired by my supervisor (and not contacted by anybody in HR about the circumstances) while in the hospital with a terrible stomach infection. I was told a temp would be covering the days I would be out and than received an unexpected phone call to let me know that the company no longer wanted to continue a relationship with me as I was a financial burden and they could "not afford" a temp- regardless of the paid time off and sick days I am entitled to. All in all, HR's decision was not only unethical and immoral but also extremely unprofessional- since I was told to get better and not to worry about the missed days as a temp was hired until I would return. Being sick is out of ones control and although it states that they understand that in the employee handbook, clearly they do not follow their own company handbook policies. The company should have someone who can be readily available to fill the reception position in case of circumstances like this- as I needed someone to cover my sick days. Rather than blaming me for being a financial burden because I wanted to use sick days I was entitled to with my benefits and than proceeding to fire me. I would say it is not my fault rather HR's fault for being so unorganized. My supervisor also informed me that the general manager from HR would contact me and she never did nor did she return my phone calls. I would certainly not recommend this company as they clearly do not care about the health and well being of their employees.