There are newer employer reviews for Design Within Reach

Beautiful Product, Wonderful Customers, Poor Management and Human Resource Department

I have been working at Design Within Reach

Pros

Gorgeous Product and integrity of design, strong education emphasis with public. Easy enough if you're smart and good with the public. Requires great attention to detail. Decent salary for the work, good springboard for better things.

Cons

Very poor management development. Company is in it's tenth year and it still feels like a start-up. Company is always on the edge so there's no excess cash to support management development.

Please put some money and time into supporting your sales people. We not only create the income, but we're the front line experience for our customers. If we're overworked and beaten-down, our attitude will reflect that. Please fully staff your Studios, no vacations do not make happy sales people.

44 Other Employee Reviews for Design Within Reach (View Most Recent)

PROSPECTING!

I have been working at Design Within Reach

Pros

Lots of energy when the studio is busy.
    Great physical environment to work in: who wouldn't want to be surrounded by beautiful furniture?
    Traning and technology is comprehensive.
    Intimate family of studios
    Comfortable working environment: AE's given a desk and a chair!

Cons

The constant push to sell sell sell: beyond walk-ins, the prospecting is warisome.
    Response from HQ sometimes takes more than 24 hours... hard to relay to a customer!

Sometimes it's not just prospecting that makes the difference in studio performance: sometimes it's the state of the economy or the mindset of the local businesses or the culture of the area as a whole. Our Studio is constantly pushed to prospect and mine the field for golden opportunities, but after just a month or two without any results we are asked to change direction and do something else. These things take time!

If it's broke, fix it.

I have been working at Design Within Reach

Pros

Nice product and partnerships with manufacturers (Knoll, Herman Miller, Fritz Hansen). Decent employee discount. Level of interaction with design community.

Cons

Executive team seems highly unqualified. Poor management - directors lacks even the most basic people management practices. Inconsistent messaging to field.

Develop a realistic business strategy and develop a stronger corporate identity. This is a great company, but can it be sustained as it is currently structured? Review top executive's performance, dismiss those execs who are underqualified and bring in new talent and skills - too many promotions are based on relationships rather than merit.

There are newer employer reviews for Design Within Reach