Desigual

www.desigual.com
  www.desigual.com
There are newer employer reviews for Desigual

La Vida es Chula

I have been working at Desigual full-time

Pros

Work-life balance is great, lots of traveling, meeting people from many different cultures. If you have good work ethic you definitely learn to be proactive to get things done.

Cons

Salaries are low. Seems like not many people are serious about their work. Company is mostly a place to stay a few years, have some fun, maybe learn a bit then move on.

Lead by example.

28 Other Employee Reviews for Desigual (View Most Recent)

FUN, different, not the same

Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser in New York, NY

I have been working at Desigual part-time (more than an year)

Pros

free uniforms with each season, great discount, fun work environment, commission, average salary, ALOT of room for growth

Cons

the company is from Spain and is fairly new to the U.S so they don't recognize certain holidays which mean if you work a holiday they don't pay time and a half like many other retail jobs. since its new they are still perfecting management. it is not perfect.

praise and acknowledgement of hard work is always appreciated

A Mixed Bag...Can be a wonderful experience...sometimes extremely frustrating.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Desigual

Pros

1> The People. The people I worked with were some of the best coworkers I have ever had the pleasure to work with before or since. The spirit of the company is infectious and if you buy into it, when working together with you're coworkers, crafting something you feel you have ownership of, can be a wonderful and unforgettable experience.

2> The Company's values are indeed something to behold. Whether the company always lives up to them is something else, but they put forth more of an effort to at least live up to most of their values than not.

3> Travel to Spain. I got to travel to Barcelona twice in my time working with Desigual, and these opportunities are life-altering.

Cons

Management- Desigual suffers from an extremely high level of cronyism when it comes to its US Management Team. While not all of these people in management are poor at their jobs, a few are very good. More than a few though are flat out incompetent and unqualified. Many do not speak English, many of those that do, do not speak it well, and some particularly in sales and in retail are unmotivated and treat their job as if they are on vacation with a company expense account. Many of these same managers are only there because they are related to, or in a relationship with the right people in Barcelona.

Pay and Benefits- You will be paid about the very minimum for your field by Desigual....and less if they can get away with it. They will spend more on their office furniture than the people they have working in them. Three sick days for the year. 2 weeks of vacation to start. You don't come to Desigual to make money.

Different set of standards for US employees vs Spanish- Very much two different groups of employees that are treated VERY differently by HR and Management.

Haphazard Strategy and Workflow- This isn't unique to Desigual as many Corporate outfits have similar issues...but sometimes everything is held together by spit and glue. Management has a macro approach that does not consider the operational concerns, and often refuses to adapt itself to the differences in the US market.

Overall...my experience with Desigual was at times frustrating, but I still look back at it as a wonderful experience. I worked with great people, and because I wore so many hats, I learned a TON that I carried forward in my professional career to bigger (though not necessarily better) things. Desigual is at a crossroads as it moves from being a quirky little company to a multinational corporation. It grew much more "corporate" in my time there, though it still managed to retain it's soul. My advice to Senior Management would be to begin to loosen the reigns of power from Barcelona and bring in US people in senior and middle management positions that are qualified to take the brand to the next level here in the United States. End the cronyism that has disenfranchised many of the employees that have been there for a long time, and promote from within while also bringing in fresh blood from within the market that can help Desigual adapt to the U.S market.

Desigual has amazing potential, and it provided me a mostly wonderful, often frustrating, and only sometimes discouraging work experience. Ultimately I left Desigual for much higher pay, but it was an enriching and rewarding professional experience, and I truly believe that Desigual's best days could still be ahead of them.

There are newer employer reviews for Desigual