Destination Hotels

www.destinationhotels.com
  www.destinationhotels.com
There are newer employer reviews for Destination Hotels

Great place to work, but not enough compensation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Destination Hotels

Pros

The prestige of working in a 4 star hotel with a very diverse group of people

Cons

The culinary department at my hotel is underpaid. It is hard to find workers that can produce the high level foods that a hotel of our stature day in and day out at low pay.

41 Other Employee Reviews for Destination Hotels (View Most Recent)

TERRANEA

Current Employee - Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Destination Hotels

Pros

independet hotels, not stuffy, no corporate structure, independet thinkers, no standers for all hotels, each hotel has its own personalty

Cons

no standers, no sturucture, everybody seem lost, no comunication between departments. Never worked in a place where i had to do my own SOP Manual. the hotel seem to want to be all thing to all guest.

the hotel leaders came from Ritz, you would think that they brought with them some of the ritz standers, Its a joke. alway on youtube, hold you accoutable for things that where never told to you. WORST place ive ever worked.

Benefits, opportunities, good pay, job security in a hurting market, and a solid ecological philosophy...do it.

Current Employee - Several Restaurant Positions At Two Hotel Locations
    Current Employee - Several Restaurant Positions At Two Hotel Locations

I have been working at Destination Hotels

Pros

opportunities for promotion, benefits package (including 301k, health and dental and PTO in some locations), transfer opportunities (i've moved from one major city to another and transferred with somewhat ease and i have only worked in somewhat low level positions), discounts at sister hotels (take my word for it, this is a very good thing), and lastly, their environmental view is exactly the kind of forward-moving company i want to support. check out some of their green policies.

In reference to the review talking about the Chef and Sous Chef not doing much, I have to say that in both of the DH&R restaurants I've worked in, the Executive Chef was THE REASON people came to that restaurant, and also worked every busy night as the expeditor on the line (a very tough job). Meanwhile the Sous Chef was in the back of the kitchen all night long making sure Banquets were only sending food with the Chef's stamp on it. Banquets are a serious revenue-maker for the hotel, and a real challenge in the kitchen. I highly commend the two Chefs I have worked for, both with world-class training and references.

Cons

Management operates highly efficiently, but are under a lot of pressure, which seems to be handed down and then handed down again, and maybe even a final time. I don't know if it is possible or how they can work to improve this quality while maintaining their efficiency, but it can get stressful. There is a subtle but sometimes exposed attitude of "don't you dare mess this up" or "everything better be perfect" by senior management, which I have witnessed to only accomplish stressing out other management and then it is passed onto all the employees. I acknowledge that this quality is evident in all business - especially successful ones - and is not out of control in DH&R, but it can be found and improved upon.

Also, they could improve the method of designing schedules and allowing employees to schedule days off in advance within reason (holidays are often mandatory in hospitality). As it stands, it is unorganized to the effect that it basically is almost impossible for management to guarantee you off anytime.

It will benefit the company, your position, your stress level, and your hotel's overall efficiency and success if you simply try to take some of the negativity out of the business relationship of you and your department directors/managers. Yes, you have huge pressures put on you, but also doesn't the dishwasher, who works two full time jobs to get by? Doesn't the line cook who make notoriously small amounts of money (in the culinary field) working the job they love, with very high expectations of food quality? It is inaccurate to think your pressure is greater than that of those below you; it's not greater, it's only different. If you show more respect and patience then you will be shown more respect, and will find much better results.

There are newer employer reviews for Destination Hotels

Worked for Destination Hotels? Contribute to the Community!