Destination XL

www.destinationxl.com
  www.destinationxl.com
There are newer employer reviews for Destination XL

Hard but self fulfilling work with little appreciation

I have been working at Destination XL

Pros

The pay is fair based on the area but I earn lower than other store managers in similar markets. This is based partly on cost of living but also the expected revenues for the location. It is a growing company with positive cash low so layoffs and bankruptcies are very unlikely. The company spends a lot of time and money training new store managers and assistant managers. It was very beneficial for me although 6 weeks is a long time. Although limited, due to the rapid expansion there are opportunities to advance your career. This will only be if you are a true TOP performer. This is a culture built by and for winners.

Cons

The benefit package is terrible. I pay nearly $800 a month just for major medical, dental, and vision for my wife, daughter, and I. Not only is the health coverage expensive, it offers VERY POOR coverage. It pays hardly anything for basic meds and my wife's pregnancy will nearly be entirely out of pocket in addition to the pre tax Obamian era robbery happening every other week from my paycheck. There is little outward appreciation. I run a top performing store and get a plackard and that's it. Now there is a company wide payroll scale back so floor coverage is decreasing with my peoples pay checks and MY hours are increasing. It is a necessary evil.

Remember we are not the only option. Our guests CAN shop elsewhere and when we have single or double coverage in a large DXL the guest is not getting served properly. We have to find ways to better balance costs savings with guest experience. Take care of your people. People like me are the reason Mr. Reeves, Mr. Levin, and the other senior management can provide brand new Subaru legacys to every regional sales manager this year with two week long all expense paid trips to Florida and Boston within the first. 3 months of fiscal 2014. Remember this when you cut my teams hours and they have a more difficult time paying their bills while you still drive a very nice BMW 7 series.if you are truly seeking the BEST talent, like you claim, be prepared to pay for it and then be there to support them with adequate compensation, quality health insurance, and hope. That's all.

19 Other Employee Reviews for Destination XL (View Most Recent)

Nice people but dysfunctional organization

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canton, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canton, MA

I worked at Destination XL full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice office environment and many good people. Pay scale is fair and benefits are decent, though healthcare is pricey (as many now are). 9 months wait for 401k participation but there is a company match. Company has been trying to create a friendlier culture.

Cons

The company strategy is not well thought out or properly executed. Outdated processes and management practices.

Better cross-functional cooperation.

Basic Review

I have been working at Destination XL

Pros

Cash Flow, Non-stressful main manager, and great co workers

Cons

Poor Management, poor organization, and false hope

There are newer employer reviews for Destination XL