DTAC

Former Employee - Direct Care Professional in Santa Barbara, CA
Former Employee - Direct Care Professional in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Devereux part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

flexible schedule, rewarding work, Close knit team environment

Cons

low pay, lack of advancement opportunities, lack of resources/ support

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Years of love of job, but frustration.

Current Employee - Teacher in Downingtown, PA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Downingtown, PA

I have been working at Devereux full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Love staff I work with. We are a team and care about the kids.

Cons

No raises, low pay, we bend over backwards and are not treated as valuable by principal. Not even a Christmas greeting. Lots of internal upheaval to keep our school going. In lieu of low pay and us going the extra mile to turn 2 schools into one, the admin is all take and no give back.

Advice to Management

Get rid of some of the upper management and pay the little people who really keep things running. Some of thee management is not needed.

Devereux is a shell of what it represents, with mixed, ineffective methodologies.

Former Employee - Direct Support Professional I in Kennesaw, GA
    Former Employee - Direct Support Professional I in Kennesaw, GA

I worked at Devereux part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with at-risk and troubled youth. Exposure to multiple client populations. Ability to make a positive difference in the world. Marketing ethos represents the positive direction of mental healthcare.

Cons

Poor compensation. Incompetent senior management. Faulty financial structure; a not-for-profit that benefits its senior management before its clients. Lack of appropriate treatment techniques, with poorly thought out combinations of humanism and ineffective applications of behavioral psychology, not based on evidenced based practices. Ineffective and repetitive staff training, built on compliance models instead of effectiveness. Restrictive environment that prevents staff from performing their jobs effectively and consistenly places staff at-risk of dismissal and legal action. Very limited job opportunities for growth and compensation. Consistently understaffed.

Advice to Management

The entire model needs to be reviewed and changed. More job classifications to be able to provide the services that the clients actually need. Appropriate advertising for job posting should be used; a bachelors degree "preferred" for a Direct Support position demonstrates that the company is focused on image instead of actual results. Compensation should be altered for all positions. Part-time can work full-time hours (and overtime) without the PTO benefits; please make full time job classifications more desirable than part-time job classifications.