Devereux

www.devereux.org
  www.devereux.org
There are newer employer reviews for Devereux

Program Manager

I have been working at Devereux (more than an year)

Pros

Large company - lots of opportunities - they say they will provide supervision and advancement opportunities

Cons

Crazy hours and expectations - little personal life - not allowed to turn phone off on vacation - only if using FMLA

management doesn't follow through with providing advancement opportunities providing clinical supervision as promised upon hire

86 Other Employee Reviews for Devereux (View Most Recent)

Not a great place for treatment more of a holding cell!

Former Employee - Direct Support Professional I in Kennesaw, GA
    Former Employee - Direct Support Professional I in Kennesaw, GA

I worked at Devereux full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free meal each shift, 8 sick days and insurance. And the few kids lives you touched.

Cons

Why would you talk a client into using their gift card to buy their needs to buy 2 staff subway meals? Mistreatment, non therapeutic, this is not a jail go back to work in one. Staff is stressed due to supervisors actions, left alone with clients that get dangerous. Assistance taking way too long. Favoritism among staff and to clients, staff talking down to staff in front of clients. I thought this was TREATMENT, the school way out of control the kids are in charge. Clients getting mixed signals from staff who even make jokes with them, give them treats after they just hurt and hit another staff person! Be ready to be tired, ask to work doubles all the time, cannot enjoy your day off due to stress. NO HOLIDAY PAY and you have to work all the holiday's if full time. Those who cared for the kids look out I did and my few who reached back for me I feel made a connection, but some coworkers want you to act like a warden instead. A few clients do not belong here. Some clients have it out for you will make written grievances against you just to get you fired to get even and at times it works. I left to help other kids who really wanted help and a staff who supports staff.

Check your hiring practices are they balanced? Are they rational fair? Better keep better eye on your DSP2. coworkers told me clients are being beat up. Make better work week, 6 days in row too much with this line of work over time and double cause burn out. Many working there is for the money not the kids. but your upper management its all about their paper work

Not concerned about employees mental health, barely concerned about the clients mental health

Former Employee - Clinician in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Clinician in Malvern, PA

I worked at Devereux full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is OK. Hours can be flexible. Many of the staff that work directly with the children are very nice and caring.

Cons

You are paid for a 40 hour work week, but it will take you at least 60 hours to complete the work and manage your case load.
    The company will use you up and spit you out when activities within the company are questioned and the clients are advocated for.
    My direct supervisor was very manipulative, self serving, and had favorites. Management will take care of themselves and let other staff struggle.
    There is not enough training and supervision of the direct staff to ensure they are providing the type of care for children with emotional issues and trauma. Staff will do things that they know will set a child off so they can give a child consequences.
    No raises when I worked there (over 2 years).
    Many of the issues that I had with the company were due to my supervisor. This individual still works at the company. This individual requested clinicians to implement consequences to clients that would would be detrimental to the clients progress and ability to bond with family. When things occurred within the company that were due to this supervisors directions or lack of directions, this supervisor was quick to shift the blame onto others and have individuals pushed out (several people, not one).

Give your direct care staff more trauma training and monitor them to make sure they are following through. Monitor clinician supervisors.

There are newer employer reviews for Devereux