There are newer employer reviews for Devereux

Job to have while looking elsewhere

Current Employee - Residence Counselor II in Red Hook, NY
Current Employee - Residence Counselor II in Red Hook, NY

I have been working at Devereux full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Multiple shifts to choose from Always hiring A lot of vacation and sick time

Cons

Stressful and dangerous at times Poor pay Often mandated Frequent schedule changes Management is petty and unsupportive High turnover causes extra burden on staff

Advice to Management

Increase staffing by increasing wages and reduce redundant paperwork Have a more specific disciplinary procedure so that managers cannot fire people due to personal dislikes (current policy is so vague that one person is fired for 2 med errors while another person is fired after 3 - inconsistency leads to fear/discontent)

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Three years of total madness!

Former Employee - Direct Care Professional in Red Hook, NY
    Former Employee - Direct Care Professional in Red Hook, NY

I worked at Devereux full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I found it very rewarding to be there for clients in need of human kindness.

Cons

Clients are not medicated properly, therefore you have behaviors that are uncontrollable and the direct care professionals are supposed to put themselves in arms way to protect client from hurting others or themselves. I have been bitten, punched, had dangerous objects thrown at me (i.e. knives). This all happens in the home or while driving van. Devereux does not care about the safety of the worker. In fact, it is implied not to call 911 when these situations happen. The employee is supposed to handle danger by themselves.

Advice to Management

management only cares about coverage for shifts. Staff is overworked and underpaid. you can move up, but moving up in title not much in pay....so its not worth moving up.

No raises since 1912

Former Employee - Proctor Supervisor in Rutland, MA
    Former Employee - Proctor Supervisor in Rutland, MA

I worked at Devereux full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-You work with a great team of professionals and clients - Medical benefits - Flexability scheduling

Cons

Devereux is cheap- they are constantly looking for ways to save a penny here, save a penny there. I worked in the foster care program. I had to use my car for work. Devereux does not offer any sort of stipend for the wear and tear on your car. They do pay mileage (they claim the mileage rate covers both gas and wear and tear expenses). I'm not sure what idiot was calcuating this formula because their reimbursement rate didn't even cover the gas you used to travel to homes and appointments. In 2013 the IRS national mileage rate was $0.56 per mile. I left Devereux in 2013 and their mileage rate was $0.35, and they refused to raise it when the gas prices would go sky high in the summer. Come on now- we are social workers- we don't make the big bucks. By the time I left, I was paying out of pocket for my work related gas expenses. Professional development opportunities are frowned upon, unless the employee pays for it themselves. Wait, this gets better- you HAVE TO PAY if you want to attend the employee holiday party. Case loads were probably illegal per contract with DCF. When I started here I was told case loads never go over eight because intensive foster care requires weeklly visits- I think when I left my case load was 15!!! On-call system/overtime- the icing on the cake. If you were on-call you worked a 39 hour work week, allowing one hour for any "on-calls" (they refused to pay overtime. You had to document minute by minute of that on-call hour. If you were reaching 50 minutes you were forced to hang up the on-call phone (even if you were dealing with a crisis) so you could call the on-call supervisor to let them know you had 5 minutes left before you hit 40 hours. They would either give you permission to continue or they would take over because paying any overtime was a big NO NO. Also, when I was out on my vacation time- I was still on-call- so messed up. Devereux likes to schmooozeeee- they think they have this reputation of being the "highest quality" foster care agency- but nobody really cares or pays attention- as long as you have a home with a bed DCF will think you are fantastic. Documentation- I get it, when you are a social worker you have no other choice, but Devereux documentation standards took it to another level- when documenting a home visit they wanted to know every minor detail from a new pet goldfish in the home to the color of the clothing everyone was wearing when you went to the home- the documentation requirements took away from the clinical treatment you could actually be doing with the clients.

Advice to Management

Upper management could use with a pay cut and use that money to give the bottom of the food chain social workers a (small) raise. For instance, my social worker salary when I left was $32,200. Robert Kreider's (CEO) salary in 2013 was $669,451 (it's public information, google Devereux 990 tax return). I'm not even asking for much here, 32,200 is hard to live off of these days. If Mr. Kreider would take a 10,000 dollar pay cut he'd still be left with $659,451, and I'd be making 42,200 (and I would be THRILLED and HAPPY).