Its a Job, not a Career

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Pittsburgh, PA
Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at DialAmerica full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have worked here for over 3 years and have learned to balance my opinion about this company. Here are some pro's about this company.

First, if you get a Health Insurance Licence (which I heartily recommend) you will get more pay, and even more during the Medicare Enrollment Season (Oct-Dec). If you are reliable, and perform well your job security is even stronger.

This is great for fresh out of college, need a part-time job, lost a job, or need some practical experience. If you are willing, you will gain LOTS of valuable skills, get what you can from this company. They offer very flexible schedules that will work for you. In this economy, one must be grateful for a job.

How to give good customer service, conflict resolution, good communication, speaking, and listening skills, that are valuable in any job. Seeing how you receive nationwide calls, you learn to work with people from all ages, and cultures. They are high demand skills that a lot of companies need.

If you gain the trust of your supervisor, they will put you in more programs, and this get's you exposure in a lot of different industries. I learned about transportation, child care, Medicare & Medicaid, education, logistics, and healthcare/claim processing. I also became very skilled in at least 8 different computer and customer databases. If you don't like the program that you are on, just ask around and wait, odds are things will change. In the 3 years I was there, I worked 10 different programs with different companies. They also have rep of the month and quarter, which is great for your resume.

Inevitably, you will get put on a selling program here. I never considered myself a salesman, I got burnt out of it in High School working retail. But I learned to sell at this company, even if you are not a full time salesmen, being able to persuade people is a valuable skill. I learned to 1) Never sell anything you believe will not help people 2) Sell because you want to help people fill in a need. I did great in the selling programs I had, and met my goals. I am now comfortable looking for a sales job.

They have a very structured environment; examples of this are a strict, professional dress code, a cell phone on the sales floor can result in termination, no internet, and a clean desk policy. They also have a point system to make sure that you are on time, and to meet their client demands. This has it's merits for a lot of people where this is there first job, it is a good place to learn professional skills. You learn how to work with co-workers, and a boss.

My coworkers and managers are great to work with for the most part. They have an open door policy for Team Leaders, Assistant & Branch Managers, so if you have questions or concerns they are right there to help you. They are right there with you, and genuinely support you. After a while, you, the managers, and you fellow phone reps become a family, and it helps.

Cons

When you consider the con's of this job, one must manage their expectations with the fact that it is a call center. I found that the managers I worked with from day to day were great, my main grievances are with the overall corporate culture, they do not treat their managers or employees very well.

First off, the highly structured environment can get frustrating. They promise their clients that the company does not allow cell phones, no internet, and a tight clean desk policy (not even books). This is not so bad on busy days, however when you are on a slow inbound line, it will drive you nuts to sit there with nothing to do for hours on end.

Second off, there are no benefits. I did not get healthcare, dental, vision, or life insurance. Their 401(k) was very weak, and even the managers did not sign up for it. In the 3 years I was there, I did not get direct deposit, I had to mail in my check every week. Once, my check got lost in the mail, and Home Office could not look into it for SIX weeks! I also found their HR system did not take care of their employees. I knew of two examples of employees who used HR rules to bully people and make life miserable, and there was nothing that branch management could do about it.
   The company has high turnover, and the document a lot of infractions, so if you are fired, they will fiercely fight off lawsuits and unemployment claims. You get no paid time off, and if you are sick, you have no personal time and get penalized, even with a doctors note. They have a $.50/hr attendance bonus, that you loose for the week. For agents that have been around and established, all they get is a good reputation from branch management, and do not get pay increases or extra responsibilities.

Third, they advertise that they promote from within. Their promotions were very inconsistent and mis-communication. They would not tell you if there was an open position, and what the requirements. It turned out you brought your resume to your branch manager and hoped for the best. If you did not get the job, you were not told why, which is very frustrating when you are trying to move up.

Finally, I also noticed that home office does not do a good enough job communicating or listening to differing opinions. While I was not a manager, I did talk to a lot of then and kept tuned to a lot of things. Many times the account team (the people in Home Office who worked directly with the clients) did not manage the expectations with some of (but not all) clients, and reps were given very stressful working conditions for little pay. I also found among the upper management and Home Office, that differing opinions about things were not taken very well. While I do not believe in being negative or cause trouble, having differing opinions is necessary to achieve client and customer goals. I found that it was a unspoken rule not to disagree and to always go along with things.

At my particular branch, I also noticed that the facilities were lacking too. There was a section of the roof that leaked every time it rained and the landlord wouldn't do anything about it. Also, the break room was small with poorly maintained equipment, the air-vents in the building were horribly dusty.

All in all, this is a job and not a career. If you need a fill in, first time, or part time job, put in your time, and get what you can out of it. You either move up or move on, and most people move on.

Offer internal listings with specific qualifications for promotions so everyone can apply, and know what is expected.

Focus on the professional growth of your agents. Follow up with them as they study for their insurance license exam. Offer quarterly reviews that look at more than their number, see how they can become better professionals.

Give reps more responsibilities around the office instead of limiting them to nothing than phone work.

Offer health insurance, pay increases over times, PTO. Doing this, will find and keep better quality employees and help the company more, with more solid agents delivering quality calls for clients.

Hire better quality agents, and don't put as many restrictive rules in place. I understand the need for rules to keep order, but it can feel like there is an inherit distrust from upper management with the phone reps.

Even if your business model depends on part time agents, I would suggest incentives to attract them to stay, long term.

Offer direct deposit for managers and agents working over 90 days.

Offer standard pay increases based on time, sales numbers, and quarterly reviews.

Other Reviews for DialAmerica

One of the best places to work

I have been working at DialAmerica part-time

Pros

They work so hard for you developing and encouraging you to reach your potential

Cons

It is telemarketing so it is not for everyone

Keep working toward the future

DialAmerica, ruthless, money hungry scammers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mahwah, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mahwah, NJ

I worked at DialAmerica full-time for less than a year

Pros

Paid weekly. They have decent food.

Cons

You have to work a weekend day and on holidays. Your pay is based on how many radios you sell. But even if you sell 100 radios, if there are people who've sold more than you, you don't get paid much. Too competitive for such little return. No room for advancement. They sent me home one day because I did not trick a man into buying a radio when he was already a subscriber to their most expensive package. I told them I have morals, sorry. The manager told me that I needed to go home, have a cup of hot chocolate, watch Twilight, and think about what I wanted to do. Then i was expected to drive through a blizzard to come to work. I trued, and instead got stranded on the side of the road with a flat tire. Called in, and was still expected to show up. If i would've gone in, i would've be trapped at work..which they would've liked. True story. Needless to say, I did quit.

Be more considerate and personable.

There are newer employer reviews for DialAmerica.

Worked for DialAmerica? Contribute to the Community!