Rewarding and Challenging

Former Employee - Fundraiser in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Fundraiser in Chicago, IL

I worked at DialogueDirect full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Was employed by the company since August of last year. Met my best friends there. Learned great ways to up my communication skills and was able to give kids an opportunity to get a leg up in an oblivious society. My team lead was a great mentor and a great trainer. The staff is pretty supportive and want you to succeed.

Cons

It is a challenging gig. There are a lot of long hours and a lot of rejection which can be very disheartening. The weather is also constantly in flux in Chicago so be prepared for that as well. Also in order to get promoted you need two weeks of 12 signups in order to move ahead in the company, which proved rather difficult for me.

Advice to Management

Promotion should not only be based upon numbers, but also on intangibles such as training and experience.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Misleading

Former Employee - Dialoguer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Dialoguer in Washington, DC

I worked at DialogueDirect full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

DialogueDirect is a bridge for a true NGO (Children International) that promotes the well-being and development of children both domestically and internationally through one-on-one sponsorship. The staff within the organization is diverse, fun, and initially very supportive. Working in DC is an excellent opportunity that is very great for networking and getting a better idea of other opportunities within the non-profit world.

Cons

Minimum wage acts as the base pay ($8.25/hr) which is very misleading given the job description on every website the position is advertised on indicates $35k will be your base pay and commission follows on top of that. Minimum wage is later deducted from your bonuses (the ones that successfully debited three weeks later) making getting donors a challenging if not an unsatisfying accomplishment. Travel via the DC metro is a requirement for this job if you intend on getting from one site to another in order to canvas. This should qualify as a travel expense covered by the company but they inform you, after 90 days, your travel expense will be debited from your pre-taxed earnings and given to you in the form of a debit card to be used solely for transportation--as if this is doing you a favor! Also, if a dialoguer does not sign anyone up for three days consecutively, they are fired.

Advice to Management

Stop with the passive aggressive management style. Inform your team leaders that not everyone can be like them in a matter of a few weeks. Also, be more direct with the pay cycle and expectations--don't throw this out during the last five minutes of your weekly orientations.

DialogueDirect Response

Jul 14, 2014CEO

Thank you for your feedback. We agree it is a great opportunity for networking and a stepping stone into the non-profit world.

Our competitive compensation structure is based on ensuring that we
    ... More

2. A challenging fulfilling and meaningful experience

Current Employee - Dialoguer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Dialoguer in New York, NY

I have been working at DialogueDirect full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people. There's something to say about the culture of DD. My coworkers are my best friends. We're like one giant family, that's trying to accomplish one goal. Very supportive, very positiv. There aren't enough words to describe how great it is.

Cons

Very challenging. Not for the introverted or for those who aren't looking to work very hard.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!