Dick's Sporting Goods

Copywriter

Copywriter (Former Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods as a contractor

ProsThere are a lot of great people working there. Dick's also has summer hours (dismissed at 3 p.m.), has great food, and has an incredible gym with classes available before and after work as well as during lunch.

ConsThe company hires several temps to keep their Fortune 500 status. The temps sometimes work over four years before they're officially hired, which prevents any vacation time, sick days, health insurance, paid holidays, and retirement benefits. I was a temp worker and was given a job description that ended up being a very small portion of my job. My training consisted of a coworker telling me some of my responsibilities for two half days. After that, it was sink or swim. At the quarterly meeting, the main complaint was the lack of feedback and help workers were getting from their bosses.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you hire a temp, don't treat them like they're disposable. Take the time and effort to train them and they will succeed. If you sit around waiting for them to fail, they will. Stick to your word. If you say you're going to have touch base meetings every week, set them up. Don't mislead your workers by not having them and allowing them to think they've done what you've asked. Make all of your expectations clear from day one, not two months into it. People can't succeed if they always feel that they're playing catch up. Be patient and realize that learning a completely new job takes six months. Motivate them; encourage them. Invest in them in the way you would want to be invested in.

Horrible

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Overland Park, KS

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time for more than a year

Pros: Not many, but you do get to sell fun equipment… Cons: Treat you like a child, pay is low, and tasks… Advice to Senior Management: Nothing much you can do No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Under appreciated...

Operations Associate (Former Employee)
Manhattan, KS

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time for less than a year

Pros: 10% discount on goods offered by the store. Cons: No loyalty to Team Members, as far as getting scheduled for your availability. I had a limited availability of 36 hours a week, 4 hours… Advice to Senior Management: When a store in your company hires a veteran, they might want to learn the potential of a veteran. I was great on the… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Dick's Sporting Goods.

Worked for Dick's Sporting Goods? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dick's Sporting Goods reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dick's Sporting Goods CEO Edward W. Stack. All reviews posted anonymously by Dick's Sporting Goods employees.