Dick's Sporting Goods

www.dickssportinggoods.com

Copywriter

Copywriter (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThere are a lot of great people working there. Dick's also has summer hours (dismissed at 3 p.m.), has great food, and has an incredible gym with classes available before and after work as well as during lunch.

ConsThe company hires several temps to keep their Fortune 500 status. The temps sometimes work over four years before they're officially hired, which prevents any vacation time, sick days, health insurance, paid holidays, and retirement benefits. I was a temp worker and was given a job description that ended up being a very small portion of my job. My training consisted of a coworker telling me some of my responsibilities for two half days. After that, it was sink or swim. At the quarterly meeting, the main complaint was the lack of feedback and help workers were getting from their bosses.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you hire a temp, don't treat them like they're disposable. Take the time and effort to train them and they will succeed. If you sit around waiting for them to fail, they will. Stick to your word. If you say you're going to have touch base meetings every week, set them up. Don't mislead your workers by not having them and allowing them to think they've done what you've asked. Make all of your expectations clear from day one, not two months into it. People can't succeed if they always feel that they're playing catch up. Be patient and realize that learning a completely new job takes six months. Motivate them; encourage them. Invest in them in the way you would want to be invested in.

EVERY SEASON STARTS AT DICKS

PGA Pro (Current Employee) Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time for more than a year

Pros: decent money for my position Cons: exec managment is lost in what happens in stores. … Advice to Senior Management: give up No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Horrible

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Overland Park, KS

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time for more than a year

Pros: Not many, but you do get to sell fun equipment… Cons: Treat you like a child, pay is low, and tasks… Advice to Senior Management: Nothing much you can do No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Dick's Sporting Goods.

Worked for Dick's Sporting Goods? Contribute to the Community!