The experience of a sales associate surely depends upon the location of your store

Current Employee - Lodge Sales Associate  in  State College, PA
Current Employee - Lodge Sales Associate in State College, PA

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time for more than a year

Pros

-flexible/ accomodating to college students schedules
-opportunities to work for manufacturers/ dealers in area of expertise (if you look for them)
-generally very friendly co-workers
-recognition is given where it is due
-valuable "real life" experience
-retail work in sporting goods offers a surprising amount of learning experiences

Cons

-seems to be a large disconnect between the upper levels of the company and the store levels
- 3% commission is recieved only on warranties sold and only if warranties total is greater/equal to $350 or so (this is a monthly endeavor, if you dont reach the goal commission is forfeit)
- location in a college town means high turnover which often leads to miscommunication/constantly bringing someone new up to speed.
-getting a full time position is nearly impossible

Other Reviews for Dick's Sporting Goods

Communist Party

Former Employee - CSS  in  Grove City, OH
    Former Employee - CSS in Grove City, OH

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good people working in the store.

Cons

Loss Prevention officers, District Managers, Regional Managers are all communist. If you intend on working at Dick's just know you'll always have someone from loss prevention watching over you on camera and keeping track of every transaction a cashier makes. I saw them fire their employees for purchasing item's with your parents credit card or using a brothers scorecard.

Warn employees that they'll get fired for these things. None of these policies are in the employee handbook. Thank god I don't work for this communist ran corporation anymore.

Only if your desperate

Current Employee - Bicycle Tech  in  Newark, DE
    Current Employee - Bicycle Tech in Newark, DE

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time for less than a year

Pros

Some of the discounts are ok, The other part time workers. Meeting new customers.

Cons

Where to start, this company stinks from the ground up. Honestly im not sure how they stay in business. Let me give you some examples.

Our new store manager gives a huge meeting on how only one employee at a time can go on break, then for lunch him and the other manger go out for an hour lunch.

They do not seem to care a bit about the employees, breaks are hard to get, they have an attitude like you are bothering them if you ask for your break. Lunch breaks are also very hard to get, i finally had to just leave cause managment didnt want to deal with the problem that day.

When i was hired i had great managers, and a great work enviroment, now with new managment its not that way. Managers routinely yell at employees, belittle them in front of others, basicly they act like they have had no managment training what so ever.

Bike shop is a mess, you cant get tubes from this company. Tubes for crying out loud. Its three months and i still cant get 26' mtn bike tubes in shrader valve. Same goes for kickstands.

Of course as a huge company devoted to providing 100 percent customer satifiaction they only provide you with like two to three sizes in bikes. 16,18,20 inch sizes. Anything bigger needs special ordered. And the special order system is a huge mess. Most the time we would get bikes, it would be 8 models of the exact same size. What a joke.

Company doesnt care about employees, they dont pay worth a darn and the discounts arnt that good. They pay lip service to customer service, but in the end only look for ways to blame the employes for the lack of payroll.

Oh, and when you read reviews on DSG.com about bikes and see that pedals fall off, that is entirely a assembly issue, not a bike failure issue. Get your people some training, the guy i took over from didnt use any grease, true wheels, adjust hubs, or produce safe bikes in any way, shape or form. I had to come in on my time off to train him to get him up to a good level of beuilding bikes.

Forget about getting tools, bike shop has been stripped of tools, and there is never money to get new ones. We just turn away customers who want repairs.

I am finally walking away from this place.
     First : of all they managers are very bad at employee relations. with very few exceptions.
    Two : they keep changing the sceadual every week, so there is no way to plan your life.
    Three: They are more concerned with score more and score cards then making sure people get thier breaks.
    Four: they treat employees as disposable, employees who feel this way then give bad customer service.

Before you promote some of these "professional" managers, how about getting them some real manager training. These people are a joke you have sent us.

There are newer employer reviews for Dick's Sporting Goods.

Worked for Dick's Sporting Goods? Contribute to the Community!