Dick's Sporting Goods

www.dickssportinggoods.com
  www.dickssportinggoods.com
There are newer employer reviews for Dick's Sporting Goods

Great job to get you through high school or college

Current Employee - Golf Associate  in  Niles, OH
Current Employee - Golf Associate in Niles, OH

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexibility, discount, easy work, 50% manufacturer discount once per pay, sometimes you get to work with cool people.

Cons

Managers typically are clueless; management calls you frequently to fill a shift, stays late past closing, managers hate their jobs, poor attitude all around,

Hire shift managers and store managers that actually have a passion for sports. I have two managers at my store who couldn't tell the difference between a tennis racquets and a racquet ball racquet. Honestly, they cannot tell the difference between a hybrid bicycle and a mountain bike. A running shoe and a training shoe. If Dick's Sporting Goods really truly want to grow and thrive as a company, look at your lower management. I have worked at Dick's Sporting Goods for 5+ years and when you sort the list by employee ID number, I am first on the list. Not only do I constantly provide information to other employees, handle customers appropriately, and know how to work every position like a champ, I do it without complaint; unlike the current managers. Your training does not work.

822 Other Employee Reviews for Dick's Sporting Goods (View Most Recent)

It's retail. Even if you work hard and follow the rules, you'll probably never get promoted. But that's retail.

Current Employee - Lodge Lead  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Lodge Lead in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

If you want a challenge, this is the place for you. Yes, it's an autocracy, but if you can survive at Dick's, you can handle just about anything at any other company. It's a beat-down, and it takes a special type of person to excel at DSG, but don't expect to get promoted. Just expect to be able to handle anything at any other company and treat it like a walk in the park.

Cons

Completely disorganized from the top down. Corporate management has absolutely zero experience with day to day retail store operations, and they think it's beneath them to actually spend some time working in a store like a regular associate, so they're completely disconnected from what actually happens in their own company. This creates a massive rift, and nobody above the district level seems to have any grasp on what is actually happening in the company. And outside of the stock prices, it feels like nobody really cares. The associates are expected to perform several weeks worth of tasking in a couple hours, but the company still preaches a "customer service" attitude. Coming from a company that truly focused on customer service, Dick's has literally beaten it out of me. It's impossible to meet their expectations and still help customers, so you literally have to ignore customers so you can finish all the tasks that Dick's expects you to complete, otherwise your job is in jeopardy. That's the philosophy of WalMart, and we should be better than that.

Nobody in Pittsburgh will care, but this company really needs to figure out who's in charge. It's like there's 7 heads and 1 body. You can't give a computer 7 different orders, and expect results, just like you can't tell a person 7 different and conflicting orders and expect them to get anything done. If you want us to help customers, then give us the payroll to actually help them. Probably 75% of the people that walk in our stores never see a single associate besides their cashier, and that's not the way we should be doing business.

Only if your desperate

Current Employee - Bicycle Tech  in  Newark, DE
    Current Employee - Bicycle Tech in Newark, DE

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time for less than a year

Pros

Some of the discounts are ok, The other part time workers. Meeting new customers.

Cons

Where to start, this company stinks from the ground up. Honestly im not sure how they stay in business. Let me give you some examples.

Our new store manager gives a huge meeting on how only one employee at a time can go on break, then for lunch him and the other manger go out for an hour lunch.

They do not seem to care a bit about the employees, breaks are hard to get, they have an attitude like you are bothering them if you ask for your break. Lunch breaks are also very hard to get, i finally had to just leave cause managment didnt want to deal with the problem that day.

When i was hired i had great managers, and a great work enviroment, now with new managment its not that way. Managers routinely yell at employees, belittle them in front of others, basicly they act like they have had no managment training what so ever.

Bike shop is a mess, you cant get tubes from this company. Tubes for crying out loud. Its three months and i still cant get 26' mtn bike tubes in shrader valve. Same goes for kickstands.

Of course as a huge company devoted to providing 100 percent customer satifiaction they only provide you with like two to three sizes in bikes. 16,18,20 inch sizes. Anything bigger needs special ordered. And the special order system is a huge mess. Most the time we would get bikes, it would be 8 models of the exact same size. What a joke.

Company doesnt care about employees, they dont pay worth a darn and the discounts arnt that good. They pay lip service to customer service, but in the end only look for ways to blame the employes for the lack of payroll.

Oh, and when you read reviews on DSG.com about bikes and see that pedals fall off, that is entirely a assembly issue, not a bike failure issue. Get your people some training, the guy i took over from didnt use any grease, true wheels, adjust hubs, or produce safe bikes in any way, shape or form. I had to come in on my time off to train him to get him up to a good level of beuilding bikes.

Forget about getting tools, bike shop has been stripped of tools, and there is never money to get new ones. We just turn away customers who want repairs.

I am finally walking away from this place.
     First : of all they managers are very bad at employee relations. with very few exceptions.
    Two : they keep changing the sceadual every week, so there is no way to plan your life.
    Three: They are more concerned with score more and score cards then making sure people get thier breaks.
    Four: they treat employees as disposable, employees who feel this way then give bad customer service.

Before you promote some of these "professional" managers, how about getting them some real manager training. These people are a joke you have sent us.

There are newer employer reviews for Dick's Sporting Goods

Worked for Dick's Sporting Goods? Contribute to the Community!