There are newer employer reviews for Dick's Sporting Goods

Great job to get you through high school or college

Current Employee - Golf Associate in Niles, OH
Current Employee - Golf Associate in Niles, OH

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility, discount, easy work, 50% manufacturer discount once per pay, sometimes you get to work with cool people.

Cons

Managers typically are clueless; management calls you frequently to fill a shift, stays late past closing, managers hate their jobs, poor attitude all around,

Advice to Management

Hire shift managers and store managers that actually have a passion for sports. I have two managers at my store who couldn't tell the difference between a tennis racquets and a racquet ball racquet. Honestly, they cannot tell the difference between a hybrid bicycle and a mountain bike. A running shoe and a training shoe. If Dick's Sporting Goods really truly want to grow and thrive as a company, look at your lower management. I have worked at Dick's Sporting Goods for 5+ years and when you sort the list by employee ID number, I am first on the list. Not only do I constantly provide information to other employees, handle customers appropriately, and know how to work every position like a champ, I do it without complaint; unlike the current managers. Your training does not work.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great company, bad interpersonal politics

Current Employee - Confidential in East Point, GA
    Current Employee - Confidential in East Point, GA

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits and programs for employees such as charity sales, blue call, pysch, etc

Cons

Management oversee the employees with the likeness of a controlled institution. The management have a regimen which consists of standing at the top of conveyors in shifts and surveilling the employees while they work, follow employees around the warehouse in an intimidating way even though the warehouse is completely wired with cameras, and favortism and corruption is so deeply embedded in the culture from management, that it makes working at a great company more than challenging. I am not ranting or venting, you are welcome to come and become apart of us and see firsthand.

Advice to Management

It is not so much the workers, but management's behavior needs to be reassessed by a third party. They have training classes so that is not working effectively. Therefore, I suggest a thorough dig and cut of the bad seeds to resolve these issues.

2. The experience of a sales associate surely depends upon the location of your store

Current Employee - Lodge Sales Associate in State College, PA
    Current Employee - Lodge Sales Associate in State College, PA

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-flexible/ accomodating to college students schedules
    -opportunities to work for manufacturers/ dealers in area of expertise (if you look for them)
    -generally very friendly co-workers
    -recognition is given where it is due
    -valuable "real life" experience
    -retail work in sporting goods offers a surprising amount of learning experiences

Cons

-seems to be a large disconnect between the upper levels of the company and the store levels
    - 3% commission is recieved only on warranties sold and only if warranties total is greater/equal to $350 or so (this is a monthly endeavor, if you dont reach the goal commission is forfeit)
    - location in a college town means high turnover which often leads to miscommunication/constantly bringing someone new up to speed.
    -getting a full time position is nearly impossible