Dick's Sporting Goods

www.dickssportinggoods.com
  www.dickssportinggoods.com
There are newer employer reviews for Dick's Sporting Goods

Great job to get you through high school or college

Current Employee - Golf Associate in Niles, OH
Current Employee - Golf Associate in Niles, OH

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility, discount, easy work, 50% manufacturer discount once per pay, sometimes you get to work with cool people.

Cons

Managers typically are clueless; management calls you frequently to fill a shift, stays late past closing, managers hate their jobs, poor attitude all around,

Hire shift managers and store managers that actually have a passion for sports. I have two managers at my store who couldn't tell the difference between a tennis racquets and a racquet ball racquet. Honestly, they cannot tell the difference between a hybrid bicycle and a mountain bike. A running shoe and a training shoe. If Dick's Sporting Goods really truly want to grow and thrive as a company, look at your lower management. I have worked at Dick's Sporting Goods for 5+ years and when you sort the list by employee ID number, I am first on the list. Not only do I constantly provide information to other employees, handle customers appropriately, and know how to work every position like a champ, I do it without complaint; unlike the current managers. Your training does not work.

932 Other Employee Reviews for Dick's Sporting Goods (View Most Recent)

The experience of a sales associate surely depends upon the location of your store

Current Employee - Lodge Sales Associate in State College, PA
    Current Employee - Lodge Sales Associate in State College, PA

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-flexible/ accomodating to college students schedules
    -opportunities to work for manufacturers/ dealers in area of expertise (if you look for them)
    -generally very friendly co-workers
    -recognition is given where it is due
    -valuable "real life" experience
    -retail work in sporting goods offers a surprising amount of learning experiences

Cons

-seems to be a large disconnect between the upper levels of the company and the store levels
    - 3% commission is recieved only on warranties sold and only if warranties total is greater/equal to $350 or so (this is a monthly endeavor, if you dont reach the goal commission is forfeit)
    - location in a college town means high turnover which often leads to miscommunication/constantly bringing someone new up to speed.
    -getting a full time position is nearly impossible

Communist Party

Former Employee - CSS in Grove City, OH
    Former Employee - CSS in Grove City, OH

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good people working in the store.

Cons

Loss Prevention officers, District Managers, Regional Managers are all communist. If you intend on working at Dick's just know you'll always have someone from loss prevention watching over you on camera and keeping track of every transaction a cashier makes. I saw them fire their employees for purchasing item's with your parents credit card or using a brothers scorecard.

Warn employees that they'll get fired for these things. None of these policies are in the employee handbook. Thank god I don't work for this communist ran corporation anymore.

There are newer employer reviews for Dick's Sporting Goods