Dick's Sporting Goods

www.dickssportinggoods.com
  www.dickssportinggoods.com
There are newer employer reviews for Dick's Sporting Goods

Great company, bad interpersonal politics

Current Employee - Confidential in East Point, GA
Current Employee - Confidential in East Point, GA

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits and programs for employees such as charity sales, blue call, pysch, etc

Cons

Management oversee the employees with the likeness of a controlled institution. The management have a regimen which consists of standing at the top of conveyors in shifts and surveilling the employees while they work, follow employees around the warehouse in an intimidating way even though the warehouse is completely wired with cameras, and favortism and corruption is so deeply embedded in the culture from management, that it makes working at a great company more than challenging. I am not ranting or venting, you are welcome to come and become apart of us and see firsthand.

It is not so much the workers, but management's behavior needs to be reassessed by a third party. They have training classes so that is not working effectively. Therefore, I suggest a thorough dig and cut of the bad seeds to resolve these issues.

931 Other Employee Reviews for Dick's Sporting Goods (View Most Recent)

Mediocre Pay, Fun Environment

Current Employee - Team Sports Associate in Ladera Ranch, CA
    Current Employee - Team Sports Associate in Ladera Ranch, CA

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Competitive Pay
    -Fun Environment
    -Employees get along

Cons

-Managers expect you to cover 2-4 departments at once and get mad if expectations aren't met
    -Customers thrash the store and you're constantly cleaning up
    -Not flexible when it comes to sicknesses and scheduling
    -Corporate doesn't make wise decisions for the outlook of the store and wastes the employees times by having us constantly rearrange the store with unnecessary change.

Hire more people and don't be afraid to have a person in every department. Customers are always complaining and It's hard for the employees to keep up.

Avoid! Much better places to work!

Former Employee - Cashier in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Cashier in Nashville, TN

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time (more than an year)

Pros

- The other cashiers were awesome to work with.
    - Front leads were also ok to work with.
    - Most of the "lower level" employees were great. (The farther you go up, the more of an ego-trip you encounter.)

Cons

- Pay, hours and the like aren't good at all. Some might try to argue that Cashiers aren't worth a decent wage. All I have to say, is the Store Manager who walks around doing nothing or sits in the back playing tetris on his computer worth 100k a year? I'd say the 3 overworked Cashiers who assist every single customer who walks through the door are doing much more worthwhile 'work'.

- Cashiers were expected to greet, answer questions, answer phones, do returns, type in Score Card sign ups into the broken index and ring people out. While endlessly being pushed to get more Score Card (Reward Card) sign ups & warranties. The micro-management about Score Cards was really the end for me.

- Overworked to the extreme, while giving you just under the proper amount of hours to get full-time benefits. Had to work many times off the clock too. Often would be left alone for hours to ring 500+ people out daily. Might not seem like a lot, but most things in the store would be incorrectly priced. It's also a strange feeling when there are 30ish customers walking in/out at any given moment. You'll be having to shout "Welcome to Dick Sporting Goods", from the register to the guy who just walked in. While checking out a couple, as you give them the speech about the score cards. At the same time someone is tapping you on the shoulder from behind to ask about buying a gun. With a customer on the phone you just had to put on hold because they wanted to know if you had some shirt in blue. Then something you just rang up isn't the price the couple is saying the sign said in the back (which you'll have to price check). It's just to much for one person.

- When things were incorrectly priced (which was about half of the time). Cashiers had to call the department the item was from, get a price check before being allowed to change the price. When the store was busy, good luck getting a quick pick up.

-Holidays (Christmas time) is hell. For whatever reason, stress of the holidays likely, many customers are extra crazy during that time of the year too. Or perhaps since there are just a higher percentage of customers than normal. Not sure. I will say, it seemed on average, out of about 100 customers you'd get 1 or 2 just completely rude customers (or people trying to rip you off). Most customers are nice, I'd always be friendly. Even if a customer had just treated me like dirt for no apparent reason other than the fact I'm a cashier. I'd still tell them to have a great day as they left. Which usually infuriated them.

- The management doesn't respect the Cashiers. (I don't consider Front-End Leads as Management, they're glorified Cashiers. Less to do with checking people out and more to do with answer questions. Though sometimes the front-leads would wander off for hours at a time.) Mainly directed towards the assistant-managers and store manager.

- Most assistant managers and the store manager would be constantly reminding the cashiers to get Score Cards. Demanding that each cashier maintain a 60%+ rating. Meaning 60% of customers who go through your register either have a Score Card on them, have one but not with them. So you'd have to look them up, often times not finding them because the system was very screwy. Other places simply scan drivers licenses, our program couldn't. Or have them sign up.)

They'd try to make you feel terrible if your Score Card percentage went down near 60%. The entire Score Card process was an incredibly wasteful amount of time for everyone. When one Cashier is working (which they almost always did, even though the line would often get way backed up). We'd have to ask everyone if they wanted to sign up for a Score Card. We'd have to say this little speech about how Score Cards are Free, Great Program, Gives you Reward Money to spend in the store - so on. If someone said Yes, they'd have to fill out there information. (Thus blocking the line) It's the same as if everyone started writing checks when they check out. Expect, every Cashier was explaining what a check is and how it works. It just slows everything down greatly.

- The funny thing too, nearly all of the managers. Who push Score Cards all day and night. The same who bash you endlessly if you'd get lower than 60%. Every so often one of those managers will jump on a register to try and be helpful. Or to try to show how easy it is to get Score Card signs ups. They would never - I mean Never - get even close to 35% Score Cards.

- I will say that when I was first hired there were actually 2 good assistant-managers. Each one left the instant they could.

- Very high turn over rate. People were constantly quitting or being fired for very stupid reasons.

- Get an automated voice answering system for phone calls. Academy Sports & Outdoors has that. It will allow you to direct your call to the department that you want. Instead of going straight to the Cashiers. Who are busy enough as is it and often don't even know if the [insert product here] is in the store or what quality/price so on.

For instance: the guy working Team Sports would likely know the price of the 3rd degree leather strapped football that he stocked just a few hours ago. The Cashier isn't likely to know that! Likewise, the guy from Team Sports isn't going to know the newest Golf driver that came in. Why expect the the Cashiers to know everything in the store? If you make them do different jobs, pay them the cashier's money of $8/hour + $10/hour for being phone dispatchers.

Show some respect to your lower level employees. Offer raises often(doesn't have to be huge amounts). A lot of Cashiers who were working there for a few years had only seen a few cents increase in pay. I understand "tough" times on the economy. But you've got less Cashiers, doing more work and getting paid the same with less chances of a pay raise. Cut the head off the snake, fire the lazy store managers who do not do their share of the work.

Do not micro manage endlessly over Score Cards or anything for that matter. Micromanaging is annoying and proven to be anti-productive. It's pretty well understood, customers would prefer a quick and simple check out. Instead of long waits because half of the people are filling out Score Card sign ups or being looked up in the broken index. Have the Score Cards as a take home and fill out to bring back in later type of thing. Or fill out at the register if there aren't customers waiting. Also have the ability to scan a person's license to look them up.

There are newer employer reviews for Dick's Sporting Goods