Dick's Sporting Goods
www.dickssportinggoods.com Pittsburgh, PA 5000+ Employees

Lots of 'good', but lots of 'bad' to go with it.

CSS (Current Employee)
Buffalo, NY

Pros-Good for a part time position while in school, inbetween jobs, seasonal, etc...
-Amount of time the store is actually open provides for schedule flexibility as a part-timer. Much more restricted if you are full-time.
-Associate discount is good, especially since the reason many people want to work for Dick's is due to their genuine passion for sports. This makes for incredible product knowledge in the departments.
-Fellow associates. There are alot of quality people working on the front lines in the stores.

Cons-Promotion/raise not based on time spent with the company, but rather on SM preference.
-Hourly rate for all associates(except the managers who are salaried)
-Incredibly high turnover (especially in my dept, Front End)
-Higher management out of touch.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe concern with the bottom-line vs associate development is alarming. To keep experienced associates, the company should offer salaried positions to replace the hourly wage for the department leads or others wishing to make more of a career out of DSG. In my store, it was a very 'my way or the highway' mentality on the part of the SM. It is hard to be motivated and keep up the moral in my dept. with this kind of attitude. After 2 1/2 years with the company I have yet to have real advancement opportunity, even after lengthy conversations with those in management.

Fast paced, demanding retail work.

Apparel Lead (Current Employee)
    Leominster, MA

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Work with things that you love, selling to people who… Cons: Erratic scheduling, difficult tasking, ever-changing company policies. Advice to Senior Management: Communication through hierarchy (RVP->DM->SM->DM->Lead->Assoc is broken. Due to this, there is little to no accountability on the part of managers when things are done incorrectly.… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Not quite there

Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Eugene, OR

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Fast paced, driven to success Cons: Reactive to most situations, lack clear and concise direction Advice to Senior Management: Breathe No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Dick's Sporting Goods.

Worked for Dick's Sporting Goods? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dick's Sporting Goods reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dick's Sporting Goods CEO Edward W. Stack. All reviews posted anonymously by Dick's Sporting Goods employees.