Dick's Sporting Goods

www.dickssportinggoods.com

Good college job/Steady paycheck

Former Employee - Golf Sales Associate  in  Montgomeryville, PA
Former Employee - Golf Sales Associate in Montgomeryville, PA

Pros

Employee discount
Young, energetic team
Flexible schedule
Steady paycheck
Nothing was taken too seriously

Cons

It is a retail job, so not very interesting
It often felt like babysitting customers
It can be hard to do the same thing every day all day

Keep it up. They are doing a fine job of running a business that employs a large amount of high school and college kids.

Other reviews for Dick's Sporting Goods

Employees are not valued

Former Employee - Footwear Lead
    Former Employee - Footwear Lead

Pros

Employee discount was OK. Most store employees were fun to work with. Store management was competent. Occasional special discounts from vendors were really good.

Cons

Employees at this company are not valued as being assets. Everyone is expendable regardless of performance. Corporate management dictates inane policies that store management must carry out. These policies often have no relation to sales and seem designed only to make corporate look good.

Last year mostly through my own initiative I increased sales in my department substantially. Much more than any other department. They showed no appreciation for my efforts. This year, even though sales in my department were still up from the previous year, they slashed payroll. Reducing staffing levels in a very busy department by over 30%. It became impossible to properly serve the customers. Then due to corporate policies, even though I had a sterling review the raise was a paltry .50 an hour. Thanks a bunch! BTW, since I left department sales are down considerably.

I had been considered for a management position. Management is a joke unless a person wants to have no life. Managers were required to work 10 hour shifts minimum, and 50 hours a week minimum. They often ended up working closer to 70-80 hour weeks with no extra pay for all those hours. No thanks.

Store management was pretty good, but they did play favorites and often overlooked deserving associates for promotions.

People in upper management need to spend some time actually working in the stores to see the effect of their atrocious policies. The corporate staff is completely out of touch with store level personnel - the very people they rely on to drive sales.

Working for Dick's had been OK.

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Murfreesboro, TN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Murfreesboro, TN

Pros

The 25% employee discount.
    You get to wear sweats to work everyday.

Cons

They get mad if you do something wrong when they never told you not to do it in the first place.
    BORING! Unless you work in specific areas of the store, you feel so unaccomplished when you leave.

Fully inform they employees about EVERYTHING, because at some point the problem will arise.

There are newer employer reviews for Dick's Sporting Goods.

Worked for Dick's Sporting Goods? Contribute to the Community!