Dick's Sporting Goods

www.dickssportinggoods.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Dick's Sporting Goods

Best retail place to work

Former Employee - Footwear Sales Associate in Novi, MI
Former Employee - Footwear Sales Associate in Novi, MI

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Management was hands off. They let you do your job, and didn't make up work for you to do. Most managers were nice and friendly, and I didn't mind working hard for them. Pretty laid back atmosphere. Worked at target before Dick's, and I liked dicks much much better.

Cons

When my section got busy, and customers were yelling at me because they hadn't been helped, no one, including the managers, would come and relieve me.

Better back room and inventory controls. No inventory of what's in the stockrooms and where. When you pull product to the floor, there should be a computerized way to "move it" from the back room to the sales floor. This will also help with employee theft.

1041 Other Employee Reviews for Dick's Sporting Goods (View Most Recent)

It was ok

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods

Pros

Great coworkers great environment to be in

Cons

Hours are so inconsistent and dependent upon sales

Use focus groups to find out more anout customer needs

Employees are not valued

Former Employee - Footwear Lead
    Former Employee - Footwear Lead

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Employee discount was OK. Most store employees were fun to work with. Store management was competent. Occasional special discounts from vendors were really good.

Cons

Employees at this company are not valued as being assets. Everyone is expendable regardless of performance. Corporate management dictates inane policies that store management must carry out. These policies often have no relation to sales and seem designed only to make corporate look good.

Last year mostly through my own initiative I increased sales in my department substantially. Much more than any other department. They showed no appreciation for my efforts. This year, even though sales in my department were still up from the previous year, they slashed payroll. Reducing staffing levels in a very busy department by over 30%. It became impossible to properly serve the customers. Then due to corporate policies, even though I had a sterling review the raise was a paltry .50 an hour. Thanks a bunch! BTW, since I left department sales are down considerably.

I had been considered for a management position. Management is a joke unless a person wants to have no life. Managers were required to work 10 hour shifts minimum, and 50 hours a week minimum. They often ended up working closer to 70-80 hour weeks with no extra pay for all those hours. No thanks.

Store management was pretty good, but they did play favorites and often overlooked deserving associates for promotions.

People in upper management need to spend some time actually working in the stores to see the effect of their atrocious policies. The corporate staff is completely out of touch with store level personnel - the very people they rely on to drive sales.

There are newer employer reviews for Dick's Sporting Goods