Dick's Sporting Goods

There are newer employer reviews for Dick's Sporting Goods

Fun but challenging.

Current Employee - Hardlines Manager in Richmond, VA
Current Employee - Hardlines Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The entire store changes with the seasons so you always stay busy. Great co-workers who keep the job fun. Great advancement opportunities with a rapidly expanding company.

Cons

Are just starting to develop their own identity rather than borrowing ideas from other corporations. This can lead to some growing pains.

856 Other Employee Reviews for Dick's Sporting Goods (View Most Recent)

Sales Leader

Current Employee - Footwear Lead
    Current Employee - Footwear Lead

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, decent raises, hardly ever repetitive,good opp for growth, laid back work attire, discount 25%, and room for growth if you want it!

Cons

The turn over in regards to management is like no other! I have been there almost four years and have had roughly ten+ different managers (I have lost count) and I feel that is way too many. The raise percentage comes from management, instead of the store manager which I experienced manipulation and got a lower raise because me and my manager didn't see eye to eye because he barely knew anything about the department. When review time came, he said I was below average when I am one of the highest producing people in the store in regards to metrics. I can't help it if he got hired into a position he barely knew anything about and wanted to run everything from the start. Business management doesn't work that way, especially if you have no idea what you are doing. It would be more beneficial if we worked together and we learned from one another, not the it's my way or the highway type of attitude! I pride my self in being the type of leader that is there to compromise and learn. It was just really unfortunate that my hard work went basically almost unnoticed because of an insecure manager that just wanted a yes person. What kind of leader would I be if I just agreed with you all of the time and never challenged you, oh yeah because you know everything? Ya know that old saying you learn something everyday, well, you do!

Just be easy going, understanding, helpful, prompt, attentive, and overall a person that sets the example for everyone, not just a manager that barks orders but cannot complete the orders themselves! The worst is when someone calls you to do something they are fully capable of doing but just don't want to do it at the time.

So far its been great

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time (less than an year)

Pros

employee discount
    Managers actually acknowledge you
    Coworkers show interest in you
    its been an awesome job so far for a part time job

Cons

hard to get hours if you only work in one department, so get cross trained
    thats the only con I can think of

continue hiring hard working people and ask employees what they would like to see changed instead of having corporate make changes without understanding what happens from day to day

There are newer employer reviews for Dick's Sporting Goods