Dick's Sporting Goods

www.dickssportinggoods.com
  www.dickssportinggoods.com
There are newer employer reviews for Dick's Sporting Goods

Looks fun from the outside, but inside its is a whole different story.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was lucky enough to have great managers when I first started. When I first started it was fun. Great coworkers and managers. First managers I had were flexible.

Cons

The pay is a joke. You're background doesn't matter they will try to offer you the lowest amount possible.
There is no room for growth. Kept telling people they would become leads when there was opening but never promoted them or skipped over people who deserved the promotion. Instead they will take advantage of you if you are willing to help out. They will keep you at part time so they don't have to give you full time benefits and then give you full time hours. Not only that they would expect to take the role of the lead if there was none while they take six months to hire someone else, who then you get to train how to do the job they refuse to give you. We had 3 full timers leave out of 6 and the managers would claim we don't have any full time positions for anyone.
We had low turnover originally, but a few people left and it was a domino effect. After that turnover was crazy high. The new managers came in with a whole different mentality, which is understandable by they tried changing a lot. The problem is our store was good before them and worse after they arrived.

If ain't broke, don't fix it. The store I was at was great, then managers changed and it went downhill quickly. Employee moral quickly sank as well. Quit taking advantage of the employees who are willing to help out. Give them what they deserve. Try rewarding those who show they deserve it.

923 Other Employee Reviews for Dick's Sporting Goods (View Most Recent)

Personal life not allowed.

Former Employee - Softlines Manager
    Former Employee - Softlines Manager

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Casual dress, a bit higher pay. Discount on all name brands they carry.

Cons

Corporate keeps cutting payroll so not nearly enough people to get all the work done. As with many retail jobs, many promises and none of them kept when hired. Huge lack of training. And a no tolerance policy for tardiness, even 1 minute late can get you fired.

Stop taking the word of your district and store managers. In the store I worked in, they were the biggest part of the problem. Unwilling to help out on the floor, passing the buck, playing favorites. Just about anything you shouldn't do they did.

Dead end job - look elsewhere

Former Employee - Golf Associate
    Former Employee - Golf Associate

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are so many other places to work so don't work here. Why? Low pay, low number of hours, very low moral among associates. No training.

Cons

See above. The company culture is the worst. Poor leadership from management. They don't care if you know anything about any sports because half of your shifts your working in the apparel section.

Stop building new stores and focus on the 500 you have already. This company is too big for its own good.

There are newer employer reviews for Dick's Sporting Goods