There are newer employer reviews for Dick's Sporting Goods

Looks fun from the outside, but inside its is a whole different story.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I was lucky enough to have great managers when I first started. When I first started it was fun. Great coworkers and managers. First managers I had were flexible.

Cons

The pay is a joke. You're background doesn't matter they will try to offer you the lowest amount possible.
There is no room for growth. Kept telling people they would become leads when there was opening but never promoted them or skipped over people who deserved the promotion. Instead they will take advantage of you if you are willing to help out. They will keep you at part time so they don't have to give you full time benefits and then give you full time hours. Not only that they would expect to take the role of the lead if there was none while they take six months to hire someone else, who then you get to train how to do the job they refuse to give you. We had 3 full timers leave out of 6 and the managers would claim we don't have any full time positions for anyone.
We had low turnover originally, but a few people left and it was a domino effect. After that turnover was crazy high. The new managers came in with a whole different mentality, which is understandable by they tried changing a lot. The problem is our store was good before them and worse after they arrived.

Advice to Management

If ain't broke, don't fix it. The store I was at was great, then managers changed and it went downhill quickly. Employee moral quickly sank as well. Quit taking advantage of the employees who are willing to help out. Give them what they deserve. Try rewarding those who show they deserve it.

reviews filtered by
  1. Personal life not allowed.

Former Employee - Softlines Manager
    Former Employee - Softlines Manager

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Casual dress, a bit higher pay. Discount on all name brands they carry.

Cons

Corporate keeps cutting payroll so not nearly enough people to get all the work done. As with many retail jobs, many promises and none of them kept when hired. Huge lack of training. And a no tolerance policy for tardiness, even 1 minute late can get you fired.

Advice to Management

Stop taking the word of your district and store managers. In the store I worked in, they were the biggest part of the problem. Unwilling to help out on the floor, passing the buck, playing favorites. Just about anything you shouldn't do they did.

2. Average Retail Job

Former Employee - Department Lead
    Former Employee - Department Lead

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Flexible schedule
    - Fun co-workers
    - Opportunities to move up
    - Overall, a fairly standard retail job, not bad but not great either - a decent place to work while looking for a career, but I wouldnt want to work here (or anywhere in retail) long-term

Cons

- Flexible schedule means working a lot of weekends and long stretches with no days off
    - Middle management (RVPs and DMs) tend to micro manage, Store Managers are essentially puppets with no real say regarding the direction of the store
    - Constantly changing layouts on a whim per the DM / RVP and then scrambling to change them back when Corporate finds out
    - Semi-frequent "all hands on deck" situations to prepare for "surprise" RVP visits, usually with 2 to 3 days notice, often resulting in very little payroll for the end of the month
    - Inability / unwillingness to get rid of bad employees
    - Stresses customer service but limits payroll to the point where multiple departments will not be staffed for multiple hours a day, most of the week.
    - Managers can expect to work 60 - 70 hour weeks during November and December with no overtime
    - High turnover; lots of call outs and no shows

*Most of these issues seem to come with the territory of working retail

Advice to Management

Give Store Managers more control over day to day operations; frusterated Store Managers make the work environment worse for everyone.

There are newer employer reviews for Dick's Sporting Goods