Dick's Sporting Goods

There are newer employer reviews for Dick's Sporting Goods

I Love Meeting People Need

Current Employee - Footwear Sales in Philadelphia, PA
Current Employee - Footwear Sales in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time (more than an year)

Pros

To Make People Customer Happy.

Cons

Some Of My Challenge Are To Grow And
Become A Team.

T.L.C

927 Other Employee Reviews for Dick's Sporting Goods (View Most Recent)

After a year, still unsure what I think

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time (more than an year)

Pros

All my coworkers were great people. Definitely made the job worth it more than anything.

Managers are usually pretty understanding and treat you like a person.

25% discount on almost everything but hardlines, where you get a 10% discount.

Customers are fun to talk to. Of course you occasionally have the annoying customers here and there, but most people are genuinely friendly and fun to talk to.

Cons

There is a huge disconnect from the corporate world and the store level. My store for example is very profitable, almost always making their goals, but hours are always tight, sometimes getting cut, making our jobs harder, and also hard to make a living. The corporate world acts like our jobs at the store are like no other, as if they pay the best and have flexible schedules and all that, when that couldn't be any further from the truth. They act like it is a privilege to work for them, but don't treat you like you work for a great company.

The gap in the level of responsibilities and expectations compared to pay and compensation is outrageous. I could make similar pay stocking food at a grocery store, with half the stress level. You are basically expected to run your department on your shift. Figure out what's wrong with it, find the solution to it, and carry it out. While dealing with customers all day and providing top notch customer service. And also providing relief to the understaffed cash registers. All this, with pay around $1 over minimum wage.

Promotions are hard to come by. I can work in almost every department comfortably, however I am still part time and have to consistently pick up shifts to get 40 hours a week. I have worked here for over a year and still struggle to get moved up, despite my knowledge of and willingness to work in many departments. I have watched two people who haven't worked as long as I have get promoted to sales lead, while I and a few others, continue to be used as basically utility players, working in many departments with weird schedules. This can be very discouraging.

Schedules are weird. You will learn the meaning of the word "clopen", when you close Friday night (10-10:30) and open Saturday (8:30). Holiday hours suck.

Turnover is very high, making your job harder if you're a hard worker. Getting called in when new hires don't show up, plus having the added pressure of having to pick up the slack when they quit.

To get promoted, you are expected to "take ownership of your department", while you only work 30, maybe 35 hours a week. At my store there were always problems with my department. Always 10 things to do and very little time to do it, all the while we have to maintain high customer service levels. You will be nagged at for tasking while there are customers and things are a mess, then get nagged at when the 10 things you had to do didn't get done.

Hard work is rarely recognized. Get an NSPP/PLCC/Survey? Awesome! Work an open-close shift or come in on your only day off for a week? Oh well, it's your job. I have worked numerous open to close shifts, and only once or twice been genuinely thanked, which is really all I ask for. But it's rarely even acknowledged when I do. There are times where I work 8-9 days straight, and no recognition. But every little metric gets a round of applause from management.

I have listed so many cons because the pros are usually pretty obvious. But when I look for a job, I am more interested in why I don't want to work for a company. My review is based on my experience with one store, and despite all of the cons, I stick with this store because I do still enjoy my job.

I have seen many good, hard workers with lots of potential leave this company for better jobs with much better pay. I myself am considering doing the same. They want their workers to be really engaged and involved in the company, and want to promote most management from the lowest levels. However, it is nearly impossible to do so with pay and benefits that leave much to be desired. All I ask for is a living wage. But it takes a good two years to even get promoted to a full time hourly employee, where you will still struggle without a second job, and at least 2-3 more years to become salaried. While this company is fun to work for, very few people have the commitment to either live on the poverty line or work 2-3 jobs in order to move up in the company. My suggestion is to offer better compensation, that would match the responsibilities and expectations of your associated. Otherwise, you will continue to have the turnover you do, and struggle to find loyal employees who want to make a career with your company.

Enjoy the job, but the management and pay doesn't compete for required work.

Current Employee - Freight Flow Lead in Portage, MI
    Current Employee - Freight Flow Lead in Portage, MI

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The overall product and goals behind company is great! I enjoy working when it's a good day and things run smooth.

Cons

Communication between upper level management, mangers, to employees seems to lack quite a bite. Mangers wait till the last minute to complete tasks on their due date rather on scheduled time. Dicks Sporting Goods as a whole seems to value their employees as "replaceable" rather an "Assets" to the company.

In my position, I am not offered a ton of time off due to no one being able to cover for me. At times, I worked more than some of the mangers to make my life easier. My biggest advice would be to make sure you continuously see what is going on in the store and walk the floor. There seems to be a disconnect on what employees actually do and say we never do anything. The BIGGEST help would be to actually value your employees and recognize employee of the month, defender of the month more and make it a big deal. The system they have set up as the "WOW board" is super bias to the point employees find it to be a joke.

There are newer employer reviews for Dick's Sporting Goods