Dick's Sporting Goods

www.dickssportinggoods.com
  www.dickssportinggoods.com
There are newer employer reviews for Dick's Sporting Goods

The people you work with are great, the management needs some improvement.

Former Employee - Golf Associate in Canton, GA
Former Employee - Golf Associate in Canton, GA

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods

Pros

It is a job.
Neat stuff to play with at work
25% discount on purchases
Fellow employees were good people.
If you like to stay busy, work in shoes or the lodge.
Easy, simple work.

Cons

Constant complaining from employees about management and company policy.
The left hand does not know what the right is doing. Lower level managers have no real clue what the store manager has in mind.
Their prices are high...and they do not always match prices. Makes things tough to sell to a knowledgeable consumer.
The goal of management is to make the store looks full, even though they have the same thing scattered everywhere.
I was a temporary employee. When that ends, expect a bum's rush to the door. Definitely at will employment.
Constantly asked to push socks. "Sir, along with you new shotgun, could I interest you in a pair of socks to keep the barrel warm?"
Constantly on feet, find comfy shoes.

You need to give your employees feedback, positive or negative.
Very reactionary and short sighted, but that is retail.

923 Other Employee Reviews for Dick's Sporting Goods (View Most Recent)

Not Exactly My Best Working Experience

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Rockaway, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Rockaway, NJ

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods

Pros

- The customers that come in are great! Which is what has kept me here along with a few good associates.
    - The associates from Lead positions and down all work together and really make the store chime. The stores that have great Leads and other hourly associates are the ones that do well and usually the managers only take the credit from DM and Regional walks unless you really try to get in and talk to senior management.
    - Decent pay
    - Great Benefits
    - Awesome Employee stock purchasing plan

Cons

First of all I need to state that many people here are making great comments.

- Management needs to stop harassing their employees about scorecards, not all customers want it.
    - This company only hires managers and up from the outside, from 4 years of experience and working in multiple stores I've only seen a handful of employees promoted within. I don't care what the Wall Street Journal says... it's crap, unfortunately. My store houses the DM for the biggest volume district in the company. If my district does it, they all do, and I can see that from MANY other comments here also. My brother also works for the second biggest district while going to college and also tell me the same and if not worse stories then I've seen.
    - Stop hiring managers from Sports Authority that leave within a year anyway, when you have loyal associates who work much harder and have dedicated much more time to the company. This alone destroys the morale. I've seen such good workers quit and go work for other major companies.
    - I've seen managers that have been with the company for over 3 years still not know how to use a PDT but still be promoted and looked upon like a knight in shining armor.
    - The management of Payroll is horrible; there is too much hype when corporate comes and visits a store. They cram in the payroll a few days before and then the store suffers for the next two weeks. Not only do the employees suffer but most importantly the customers.
    - Full-time is 32-38hrs
    -Managers are the only ones who speak to Human Resources and I've seen many illegal actions made by managers by falsifying hours to make payroll etc. which has happened to me and MANY associates in my store. Unfortunately, human resources will barely slap their wrists because they all work together. I've seen a store manager and regular manager gang up on an associate and cut their hours from 38 to 13 the next week because the employee notified HR of issues.

Dick's Sporting Goods corporate can fire as many District, Loss, Regional Loss Prevention managers they want and still not solve the problem. These issues are only going to get worse as the company grows. The company believes it can just fire and replace someone and expect changes for key senior management positions but until the company actually takes pride and care in their employees and ultimately the company itself, this "infliux" period of growth the company expects to have from 400 - 900 stores is only going to be a "pipe dream". Ironically I met Ed Stack while going to the bathroom at Roosevelt Field (of course they had everyone there blowing up payroll to get it ready and I'm sure payroll hurt the next two weeks for the employees and customers), he's a great guy but the senior management around him seem to be making a fake facad in order to get at the power trip/money.

The grass IS greener on the other side.

Former Employee - Ops Lead in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Ops Lead in Tampa, FL

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods

Pros

You get good training.
    Chance to work in one or more departments which allows you to learn more about product.
    Hourly employees all get along for the most part
    TV is on while you work so you can hear sports while working.

Cons

Low pay, long hours, super high demands when it comes to turn around time on projects when there are limitations to how long something can be on the floor while the store is open. Management very white collar.

Stop sitting behind the desk and yelling about things that arent getting done and get out there an show employees that you too can actually work. Dont be afraid to make a mistake and go away from the black and white of the company, if you can explain why your doing something for your market then it should be acceptable

There are newer employer reviews for Dick's Sporting Goods