There are newer employer reviews for Digi International

Unable to see how broken their culture truly is

Former Employee - Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
Former Employee - Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Digi International full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pretty much everyone you work with is a nice person, helpful, easy to work with. No bad attitudes or difficult people, and many very smart people. Very good work-life balance, engineers often work from home and it's easy to leave early/arrive late for family issues, etc. The place pretty much clears out by 5:15pm and there aren't many people working weekends.

Cons

Google for "Minnesota nice". No one will ever publicly disagree with you, and especially not with management - a very "yes-man" culture. No one speaks their mind in public. I was in one meeting with the VP of engineering, who told two managers to do such-and-such, and they fell over themselves agreeing with his decision and saying they'd get right on it. Then 5 minutes later during a break, one of the same managers leans over to me and asks "do you have any idea what the h*** he was talking about? He didn't make any sense at all."

And then the meetings -- nothing ever gets done. Meeting after meeting after meeting, and no one makes a decision or picks a course of action; it's always consensus-building, and if you can't come to a group consensus then you're really screwed because the meetings then go on forever. I can't tell you the times I've been at HQ and walked the halls and manager after manager is in meetings for almost the entire 8-hour day. It's amazing any real work gets done. And all the real decisions are made by management, with little input from ordinary workers. They are so stuck in their culture and they just don't realize it -- they go around thinking they have such a great culture and great processes and they have (at least as far as I could tell) no idea how truly broken their culture is. Perhaps it's a midwest thing, and I'm expecting a Silicon-Valley-style high tech culture.

Increase your corporate ability to introspect and be honest about what you do well and don't do well. Without this honesty with yourself and your employees, it is very difficult to improve.

38 Other Employee Reviews for Digi International (View Most Recent)

Former anonymous employee

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at Digi International full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great work environment and benefits. Employees had a sense of humor, fun.

Cons

1. The training process could have been accelerated a bit, but the trainers thought slow was best due to experience.
    2. Laid off after one month of employment.

A good starting place for the new engineer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Digi International

Pros

There are plenty of opportunities to become a core member on new design projects.
    The engineering resource pool is highly talented and a great learning resource.

Cons

You must be OK with a highly flexible schedule
    You must be willing to wear a variety of hats: engineer, tester, salesman

All in all, keep up the good work; favoritism isn't shown in assignment of tasks and talent is fairly recognized and rewarded.

There are newer employer reviews for Digi International