Loved the River

Former Employee - Associate Director
Former Employee - Associate Director

I worked at Digital River full-time

Pros

Great benefits package. Great tools to work with. It's a fast paced environment. Not only projects but the culture changed quickly.

Cons

Slow to act. It was like getting a bill passed through congress to get anything to happen. Could be much simpler. They no longer offer trainings or much support for professional growth

Advice to Management

If DR would start acting like a global company instead of a MN based company they may make it easier to get things done.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

I'm appreciative for what I learned but I'm glad to be out

Former Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Digital River full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

DR still has some of the brightest people in the Twin Cities and overall it is a nice team. The team has a lot of potential that a competent management team could unleash. Good food, good gym and other perks like massage. Helpful and friendly HR personnel but unfortunately most of them don't stay for very long - except from the SVP HR.

Cons

The company lost its culture after the founder left and the management should make it a focus and work with the team to create a positive culture. The staff turnover is significant because of the obligatory layoffs every six months and lack of focus, innovation and execution. The company is stagnant at best.

Advice to Management

It's time to turn rhetoric into action. Stop promising everything under the sun about what you are going to do to turn things around. Just do it. Take feedback from employees (not executives) seriously and don't just pretend that you do.

Exceptional people - too bad we're all electronically leashed

Current Employee - Program Manager in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Digital River full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Casual environment, fun, good amount of flexibility and overall everyone works closely with and gets along well with everyone. I have worked with some of the most brilliant, caring, funny and amazing people at DR. Many of whom have become important friends to keep in touch with when paths take different directions

Cons

Lack of work life balance and consistency across the organization. The team I am on gets a lot of flexibility with working remotely and the hours we work - but we also get worked really hard at times over weekends and during holidays (name of the game for ecom. though)

Advice to Management

Create consistency across managers and up. We are an ecom company with an impressive list of achievements - allow employees across the board some flexibility with telecommuting. I get a lot of flexibility to do so because I report up to a segment of management that understands the majority of my responsibilities can be done anywhere internet is available. However the team one row over from me operates almost like a call center; everyone needs to be in the office and at their desk for a full 8 hr. Solicit our feedback on things like the holiday party and all associates meeting. Its really hard for some of us to attend those functions with the days, times and locations of them in relation to our homes, typical work hours and family/personal life. Work life balance and tools for the job. As a whole we work hard and accomplish some really great things for our partners, clients and each other. Yet it is almost impossible to get budget approval to attend a job related conference or learning opportunity and even harder to get a laptop upgrade regardless of team/department approval. Imagine what we could conquer if we had hardware with the dedication, focus and efficiency we have. Ease up on us a bit - many of us are running at 110% - seven days a week, week after week. Rarely able to truly have a day off, one where the electronic leash is not checked multiple times a day with the ability to be logged in and online at a moments notice. In the end we get pushed harder, expected to beat the impossible goal we just achieved, take on more responsibility, challenge ourselves, grow business, etc...without additional staff or support. ADVANCEMENT OPPORTUNITY! What are the career path options of a DR employee? Do job descriptions or list of responsibilities by title/role exist? How does one get promoted? It's certainly not solely based on performance, peer review/recognition, dedication etc...