DigitalGlobe

www.digitalglobe.com
  www.digitalglobe.com
There are newer employer reviews for DigitalGlobe

Interesting domain, but horrible development processes (or lack thereof)

Current Employee - Senior Java Developer in Longmont, CO
Current Employee - Senior Java Developer in Longmont, CO

I have been working at DigitalGlobe as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Some really good people, interesting domain

Cons

Understaffed, too much reliance on heroic efforts by a few developers to meet goals, and process is virtually non-existent.

Realize that the domain is one that requires considerable experience to grasp well. Don't expect that staff aug contractors will be able to sufficiently come up to speed in less than six months or so. Focus on filling the holes in the management chain and actually do some medium term planning -- too many projects (virtually every) put on hold because issues that should have been expected created emergency situations.

69 Other Employee Reviews for DigitalGlobe (View Most Recent)

Good learning opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great people. Casual atmosphere. Lots of technology to play with. Good salaries.

Cons

Management does not know how to make the best use of its talented people. Career advancement can be very difficult if you don't know the right people.

Get to know your employees. Learn what they want to do with their careers and put them where their strengths can be put to best use. It will be a win-win for everybody.

No career growth at Digitalglobe, no raises, poor management, inexperienced employees

Current Employee - Analyst in Longmont, CO
    Current Employee - Analyst in Longmont, CO

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Everyone is nice at DG, great benefits, and the office building has perks like a little gym, yoga room, Gibs bagels, and free fountain drink. In most departments the job is flexible with the option to work from home and set your own hours.

Cons

If you are looking into getting a job here, please read all of these reviews because everyone I have read is 100% true.

No Career Growth: I have held the same position for almost 5 years, I constantly am asking for a promotion or ways to receive one. The answer remains "we are working with HR to get more career growth within our department" - this has been the same answer for years!

Regardless of how great you are, your review will always be average. My review score was the same as my coworkers who is constantly late for work, sick, or making mistakes. If you are a hard worker and like being appreciated for what you do, stay away from this place.

If you are any smart, more than likely your boss will find you to be a threat (because most of the managers are uneducated) and will find something wrong with you. Managers are notorious for taking credit for their employees work.

Unprofessional Environment: I have heard of so many people filing sexual harassment cases to HR. The work environment is too casual, people cross the lines constantly. There is a lot of crying, gossip, and yelling in this work place.

Unfair Treatment: Some workers are allowed to work from home, while another person with the same job title is not. In addition, the salary is way off. My coworker has no experience or degree and makes about $35k more a year then I do! I have 11 years experience in this field and a relevant degree.

No Raises or Bonuses: Because everyone is lumped into average rating, forget a raise. Bonuses tend to be $1k-$5k a piece. With major cutbacks with a new CEO I doubt anyone will get a raise over the next few years.

Unless you have a strong passion for this industry and all you want to do for the rest of your life is play with satellites then go for it. If you just want a job in management, HR, etc., I would not get a job here.

Listen to your employees when you ask for feedback.

More attention needs to be given to the Operations staff, there is a lot to fix there.

Send Management to management courses.

There are newer employer reviews for DigitalGlobe