Dillard's

www.dillards.com
  www.dillards.com
There are newer employer reviews for Dillard's

Incompetent staff, high expectations!!!

Current Employee - Edge Shop Business Manager in Asheville, NC
Current Employee - Edge Shop Business Manager in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Dillard's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Above average pay for retail (although for what they expect from employees its still not enough compensation for your time and effort). One hour breaks. Good Discount.

Cons

Do NOT consider working for Dillard's unless you have an extremely marketable mind and can sell ANYTHING and do it every second of your life!!!. In cosmetics you will have to network outside and be expected to use your personal time to get customers in the store. The turnover rate is consistent and the people who have experience, like myself, get stuck teaching the new employees the ropes and missing sales then get reprimanded for it. This job has extremely high expectations and as soon as you make your sales goals....they expect MORE! Very old management skills, cannot confide in ANYONE but yourself. Most people working in Dillard's are hired because they are CUTE. It is sickening. You will get promoted, with barely any incentives or pay raise and be expected to work ten times harder. My managers also LIED to me consistently and never explained my commission until 4 months into the job and I missed out on over $1,500 in bonuses!

Stop treating your employees like crap. Care about us and we will care about you. Spend a week on the sales floor, especially cosmetic,s and actually see what we have to deal with. When you say you are there for help, then don't tell us "well, what do you think" when we ask a question. Take some people-skills classes. Don't hold any area higher than others.

1185 Other Employee Reviews for Dillard's (View Most Recent)

Disrespectful

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Denton, TX
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Denton, TX

I worked at Dillard's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-good starting pay
    -decent/good merchandise
    -a few good managers
    -nice coworkers
    -pretty good discount

Cons

-attitude and professionalism of store management
    -pay cuts if you don't meet your often RIDICULOUS sales goal
    -their pay system is just crazy; at least if you work for a commission-based company you are able to reap benefits of your hard work and outstanding sales
    -store manager at the store I worked at was rude, disrespectful, cussed at fellow employees on the sales floor, yelled at employees on the sales floor, haughty, stuck up, two-faced, bull dog of a lady
    -cosmetic manager for one of the high-end cosmetic lines was a psycho, and was never confronted seriously for it; she stole sales from everyone she could, was dishonest, but because she made a lot of sales, the store manager didn't care what she did; she was only successful because of how dishonest she was, and then she was rewarded for it
    -they do NOT respect your schedule or how many hours you want; I'm a college student willing to work hard PART time, but they continuously gave me full time hours and got mad when I told them I needed less; very, VERY discouraging to deal with when you're trying to do your best
    -you were RARELY praised or recognized for hard work and great achievements, they just tell you when you do something wrong
    -all around, this company is run by fear and not respect or incentive; I will never, EVER recommend anyone to work here

This goes to the very top of the Dillard's company, from the sales floor managers to corporate officers and the Dillard's family... if you want to continue to have a successful retailer, you should treat your employees how you want them to treat your customers. Companies who treat their employees well and make their employees happy will have happier employees which makes happier customers. I feel like this is a "duh" statement, but apparently Dillard's hasn't quite grasped that. Pay your employees based on commission, because money is the motivation, is it not? Also, don't forget about your little stores, too. If you want them to perform to your standards, don't leave them with outdated stores. Carpet for the cosmetic and fragrance area? Really? It looks so trashy and old, yet they want people to come in and spend the big bucks. I understand many of the issues may have very well been only at my store, but that is still a WHOLE store that is misrepresenting your company. For any first-time Dillard's shoppers, that doesn't really give a great first impression.
    The bottom line is this... if you want to have a successful company, run it with more integrity. Make sure you hire the right people and reward the right people. Too many mean, dishonest, cold-hearted people get ahead in this company. Character is everything in sales. Customers are not stupid, they notice things and see right through people. They don't want to spend their money if they don't trust or don't like the person who is helping them. I could continue but I've said enough for now.

Overwhelming & Stressful

Former Employee - Business Manager in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Business Manager in Memphis, TN

I worked at Dillard's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Extra Employee Discounts
    Decent Pay for Associates
    Lack of Training Helps You Learn to Problem Solve On Your Own
    Aggresive Selling Prepares You for Your Next Job

Cons

Lack of Training
    No Human Resources
    No Open Door Policy
    Not Supportive
    Lack of Advancement

Please take associate's concerns and complaints into consideration. Make sure all levels of employees gets adequate training- including upper and senior management. Stop hiring people that have "the look" and hire people that have the skill. If everyone is saying the same thing, there has to be something to it. I worked for Dillard's for 3 yrs. I never got a paycut, and eventually moved into management. I ran a double digit increase at my counter my first year there. Unfortunately, the unprofessional atmosphere sucked the life out of me, and I could no longer stay. Turnover is typically a reflection of the lack of follow up actions after problems. Please make it better for future workers.

There are newer employer reviews for Dillard's