There are newer employer reviews for Dillard's

It was a huge time commitment

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Auburn, AL
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Auburn, AL

I have been working at Dillard's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed the pay that a sales associate made. They paid really well at first. They had small parties for you when you did something really well.

Cons

They did not work well with my schedule. I was constantly going to my manger to get her to change it. It is hard to get a pay raise.

1104 Other Employee Reviews for Dillard's (View Most Recent)

Don't believe the hype

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Ocala, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Ocala, FL

I worked at Dillard's full-time

Pros

My fellow associates for the most part were hard working and dedicated.

Cons

Sales quotas unattainable, especially in a department that was down when you were hired. They do not value hard working dedicated talent. They are just on to the next. Pushing credit accounts and even belittling associates by placing lists of those getting credit and those who do not. Management non-caring, cold, and matter of fact with regard to someone who believes this is a career!

Value employees that have served your company in a positive way. It does not surprise me that Dillards is ranked the #2 worst place to work. Family owned means nothing in Dillards case! Step up and learn how your employees really feel out there............or do you not care? Would love to see Bill Dillard go on under cover boss...

Don't care about their people

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Marion, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Marion, IL

I worked at Dillard's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Higher than average pay for retail
    Flexible hours and not crazy hours during the holidays.
    Most of the customers are better than some other places.

Cons

They do not care about their associates. You can be a complete slacker as far as day to day care of the department and they don't care. As long as you have good sales. Even If you work your butt off day in and day out and take a department from shambles to "the best it's been in a VERY long time", it does not matter if business is slow and just not there. They WILL fire you. You win multiple sales contests? Doesn't matter. I mean obviously you are doing something right, but...it doesn't matter. They WILL fire you. Take a job here if you are desperate, but KEEP LOOKING for another job, because, if you don't, you will be fired.

I think one of the Dillard's brothers needs to do the undercover boss thing. Or even simply think about the way you are doing business. Firing above average workers for having one bad sales period is absolutely ridiculous. Crazy, even. Treat your people like people. Don't forget those who keep you in those fancy suits and big houses. Stop treating people like trash.
    And to store management,, stop laying it on so thick in the beginning, like you actually care about the new hires. You don't. You are so desensitized it is not even funny.. There are so many things you need to be more honest and open about. I don't understand how it is ok with you to work in a place that treats its people like that. People would be a lot happier if they weren't always in fear of their livelihood. You give some people advantages that others are not given. I am disgusted when I consider what I did in the time I was there and how I was out without hesitation or even the hint of human emotion.

There are newer employer reviews for Dillard's