There are newer employer reviews for Dillard's

Ok

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Louisville, KY
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Dillard's full-time for less than a year

Pros

Discount, discount, other ways to earn other perks, easy without much physical ability

Cons

If. you're stuck at a bad store or in a bad location, pay suffers for associates in premium sections of the store

Better marketing

1043 Other Employee Reviews for Dillard's (View Most Recent)

Do not work here if you want to be treated like a human being.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Dillard's full-time for less than a year

Pros

Met a few great co-workers and that's about it.

Cons

I was so optimistic when I first started and wondered why everyone else seemed so miserable. Slowly but surely the truth was revealed. You are nothing but a number to them. They tell you everything you want to hear. Promises of moving to a department you truly have a passion and talent for and never deliver even if you do make your numbers. If you don't make a ridiculously high sales per hour goal within 6 months you'll receive a pay cut and be fired within 3 months if you don't make up your deficit.

I wish I would have known what I was getting myself into. There are some terrible individuals who get to stay because they are overly aggressive to the point of physically pushing you out of the way to get to a customer. And the sad thing is that management favors those employees and makes it a point to defend them when they steal a sale. Don't even think about going to HR for help because there is none.

Another con is that they could care less about customer service. It's all about how much you sell to them, not how well you've helped them. You truly are as good as your last sale. All everyone talks about is, "I sold this much, I sold that much." "I'm the top sales person in my department." I'm sorry, but I find that disgusting. I view people as people and not as a number. Since I've started there I've received so many customer compliments for how I've treated them. They love that I didn't follow them around like a shark and that I truly helped them instead of being pushy and annoying. You think that management would want to keep someone like that on, but no. They want you to be all over the customer and sell them anything and everything regardless if the customer wants you to or not.

I've been in retail for almost 10 years now and I am appalled at how this company is run. They do not value their employees as people and they view their customers in the same light. If you are a heartless, ruthless person who could care less who you screw over to make it by all means feel free to apply. If you do care about others, value team work, and want to keep your dignity look elsewhere.

Get rid of the outdated quota system. Rate your employees on how reliable they are, actually helping the customer, and helping out with task work. Hire on a neutral HR department that employees can go to if they do have a problem so it can actually be resolved instead of swept under the rug. Just simple changes like these will create a less hostile work environment and encourage a more productive and friendly sales associate.

Sales Associate

I have been working at Dillard's

Pros

Dillard's pays well for a college student, I have a wonderful manager, and friendly employees. Also, there are times where you can be paid time and a half.

Cons

You will have a quota card, your pay can be decreased if you don't make your quota, some employees are not team players, and you can be fired on spot without a given reason.

Listen to the employees when there are issues and promote keeping your employees (not firing and hiring new employees).

There are newer employer reviews for Dillard's

Worked for Dillard's? Contribute to the Community!