There are newer employer reviews for Dillard's

New Job, so far, so good

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Dillard's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

25% employee discount on merchandise after 30 days Opportunity, free business cards which is professional and fancy for professional selling to your clientele, gold name tag View your own schedule, quota, and other items on Dillard's intranet Longevity of employees with great retention Too many employees standing around doing nothing, Work rules unenforced One hour lunch, nearby food court in mall locations 50% discount on "graduation" day, which is 3 weeks after training period Higher starting hourly rate versus other retailiers, myself given a good rate with my experience Sales per Hour goal can be motivational Zero + Zero program where you can earn a paid day off if you are always on time in one quarter of the year Given Sales per Hour goal and Raise goal that can be motivational to know you can get a raise after your first 3 months of work Massive learning potential, no micro-management

Cons

SPH- Sales per Hour goal can be stressful. Old and Slow POS, point of sale register computer system that needs updating Slow handheld scanners No program for individuals with bachelor's degrees Management has been too lenient thus far and has not caught associates standing around talking to each other, using their cell phone, and eating which are all agains tthe work rules

Advice to Management

Promote people with Bachelor's degrees automatically or more easily. Have a program for people with bachelor's degrees and so many years retail experioencel, they should automatically qualify and be full time at a pro-rated rate automatically. Have a few less people on the floor, there are too many employees standing around doing nothing which doesn't seem cost effective. Update your Point of Sale Register system please.

Other Employee Reviews for Dillard's

1. Worked to death

Former Employee - Men's Shoes Sales Associate in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Men's Shoes Sales Associate in Charleston, SC

I worked at Dillard's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Health insurance if working more than 32 hours a week. Normal business operating hours aren't bad.

Cons

Long work days- sometimes shifts could be 12 hours, 3 or for days a week. Ability to meet sales goals for salary are unrealistic depending on which department you work in. Small if no real opportunity for advancement. Can't move to a different department unless you exceed sales goals for a year, so if you start in a department that just doesn't ever meet goals, you can't change. Not allowed to sit down at all. No form of advertising except print that will generate sales.

Advice to Management

Have the ability to understand how some departments (which vary depending on geographiocal location of store) don't get the foot traffic like other departments and should be adjusted accordingly.

Learning the good and bad side

Current Employee - Jewelry/Watch Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Jewelry/Watch Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Dillard's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people. I have met the most amazing people here. I work with them daily that they are almost family. The customers that come back just for you. The starting pay rate.

Cons

The quota is what is going to get me fired. I have seen so many good people leave because they couldn't reach their quota. I am going to be one of them soon. You get pay cuts if you don't reach your daily goal and depending on how much you make, your quota is X times high. Some times it is so slow that there is nothing you could do to make your quota.

Advice to Management

Please give us a realistic quota. Give us stability, we work hard for you and at the end of the day, the quota kills us all.