Dillard's

There are newer employer reviews for Dillard's

Good Money

Current Employee - Sales Associate
Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Dillard's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Start out with a high pay, discount on clerance, fashionable, gives you thick skin

Cons

very strange hours (like 4 hour shifts) very competitive, if you dont make your sales goals you won't have a job, managers will discuss issues about employees with other employees, must get credit apps, to have a weekend off you have got to work dang near 2weeks straight, very territorial, people dont want you to learn so you won't be ahead of them

1229 Other Employee Reviews for Dillard's (View Most Recent)

Toxic Culture

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Plano, TX

I worked at Dillard's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Hourly pay is well above minimum wage with commission

Cons

This is specifically in reference to the Cosmetics Department. Very unreasonable and unrealistic sales goals. Corporate pushes employees to harass and stalk customers to make a sale. In doing so, we lose more customers than gain sales.
    We are never allowed to say "can I help you?" or any other line similar to this. In training, we are taught to spark a conversation about the customer's personal life( family, relationships, pets, etc). Most customers are put off by this. It wastes their time and they feel annoyed.
    Management encourages backstabbing, stealing each other's sales and customers, and any other vicious tactics to promote competition. As a result, sales people argue in front of customers, and everyone comes to work looking over their shoulders.
    Management has no regard for their employees. They have no sympathy for human life. Even when employees are hospitalized with proof, management will ignore it and still manage to embarrass and punish the employee.
    Management breaks all types of labor laws. They embarrass and humiliate their employees when its review time. Sometimes they will even do it in front of coworkers.

Stop asking us to harass customers. There is nothing wrong with asking someone "can I help you?" Building relationships with customers take time and work. Some personalities click with others. Not every salesperson's personality can connect with every single customer. Asking customers about their personal life and harassing them is too much.
    Sales goals shouldn't be the only defining factor in assessing an employee. You fire employees for not reaching sales goals after 6 months. Well after 6 months they start to get the hang of the job and know the customers and products and they are let go. You repeat this cycle and incur high turnover costs.

Dilards in MacArther Mall

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Dillard's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, great environment to work in downtown mall.

Cons

The hiring process can be hectic as there is a lot of competition

Show more interet in people who are fit for the job with experience

There are newer employer reviews for Dillard's