Dillard's number 2 in the top 10 worst companies to work for

I have been working at Dillard's (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pro was a good salary

Cons

No consideration for the outside life

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Very stressfull job for sales associates

I have been working at Dillard's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The starting pay was good

Cons

to much favoratizm for some workers, to many company policies being broken by management and employees

Advice to Management

get some outside HR training for everyone in management

2. Toxic Culture

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Plano, TX

I worked at Dillard's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hourly pay is well above minimum wage with commission

Cons

This is specifically in reference to the Cosmetics Department. Very unreasonable and unrealistic sales goals. Corporate pushes employees to harass and stalk customers to make a sale. In doing so, we lose more customers than gain sales. We are never allowed to say "can I help you?" or any other line similar to this. In training, we are taught to spark a conversation about the customer's personal life( family, relationships, pets, etc). Most customers are put off by this. It wastes their time and they feel annoyed. Management encourages backstabbing, stealing each other's sales and customers, and any other vicious tactics to promote competition. As a result, sales people argue in front of customers, and everyone comes to work looking over their shoulders. Management has no regard for their employees. They have no sympathy for human life. Even when employees are hospitalized with proof, management will ignore it and still manage to embarrass and punish the employee. Management breaks all types of labor laws. They embarrass and humiliate their employees when its review time. Sometimes they will even do it in front of coworkers.

Advice to Management

Stop asking us to harass customers. There is nothing wrong with asking someone "can I help you?" Building relationships with customers take time and work. Some personalities click with others. Not every salesperson's personality can connect with every single customer. Asking customers about their personal life and harassing them is too much. Sales goals shouldn't be the only defining factor in assessing an employee. You fire employees for not reaching sales goals after 6 months. Well after 6 months they start to get the hang of the job and know the customers and products and they are let go. You repeat this cycle and incur high turnover costs.