There are newer employer reviews for Dillard's

Great Company

I have been working at Dillard's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great overall business plan and execution.

Cons

Benefits package needs to be strengthened.

reviews filtered by

Overpromised and Micromanaged

Former Employee - Management Trainee in Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Management Trainee in Lubbock, TX

I worked at Dillard's full-time (less than a year)

Pros

At my store there was excellent area (department) management who gave great support and allowed us to work independently to accomplish our task.

Cons

At my store, while department managers were excellent, the store and district managers were terrible. Huge disconnect between their strategies and what actually moves product. They also micromanaged their department managers to death which made them much less effective.

I was brought on as a management trainee straight out of business school and was told I would work a couple months on the floor in various departments to learn the day to day operations, and I was happy to do so. I got along great with all my area managers and salespeople. I would often ring up sales under salespeople’s numbers to give them credit. After all, they were on a tough quota and I as a management trainee was just taking money out of their pocket every time I rung up a sale.

Then I got to my meeting where I assumed I would be making my transition into managerial duties. Wrong! I was told that due to my low sales numbers I was no longer eligible for promotion into management. What? I was told this was just to learn the ropes not to begin a career as a sales person on the floor. I was told I had to get my numbers up by my next performance review if I “was to be eligible again.” During the next few months I busted my butt and worked very hard to improve my numbers but it wasn’t enough. To make matters worse, during the time before my next review another management trainee was brought on and immediately put into an assistant manager role.

It quickly became clear to me that while my immediate managers were very pleased with my performance and work ethic, the store manager had no intention of keeping his/her promise. I don’t expect to be handed anything, but if the store manager didn’t think I was right for the position I applied for he/she should have been upfront about it instead of making empty promises and wasting my time.

Keep your promises and stop micromanaging your area managers; they actually know what's going on.

Not a Good Environment.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Dillard's full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you like retail, and can get a good store situation, it's just OK.

Cons

Looking to move up and on younger employees. The sales-per-hour system on the sales floor may make sense on the surface, but causes associates battles, discontent and unfairness. It only has a sense of good when the associate has the best area, best days and best hours. It causes favoritism and bad employee attitudes.

Understand that folks just want to do their jobs to the best of their abilities without having to battle others on the floor. It affects morale and customer service.

There are newer employer reviews for Dillard's