There are newer employer reviews for Dillard's

Toxic Culture

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor  in  Plano, TX
Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Plano, TX

I worked at Dillard's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Hourly pay is well above minimum wage with commission

Cons

This is specifically in reference to the Cosmetics Department. Very unreasonable and unrealistic sales goals. Corporate pushes employees to harass and stalk customers to make a sale. In doing so, we lose more customers than gain sales.
We are never allowed to say "can I help you?" or any other line similar to this. In training, we are taught to spark a conversation about the customer's personal life( family, relationships, pets, etc). Most customers are put off by this. It wastes their time and they feel annoyed.
Management encourages backstabbing, stealing each other's sales and customers, and any other vicious tactics to promote competition. As a result, sales people argue in front of customers, and everyone comes to work looking over their shoulders.
Management has no regard for their employees. They have no sympathy for human life. Even when employees are hospitalized with proof, management will ignore it and still manage to embarrass and punish the employee.
Management breaks all types of labor laws. They embarrass and humiliate their employees when its review time. Sometimes they will even do it in front of coworkers.

Stop asking us to harass customers. There is nothing wrong with asking someone "can I help you?" Building relationships with customers take time and work. Some personalities click with others. Not every salesperson's personality can connect with every single customer. Asking customers about their personal life and harassing them is too much.
Sales goals shouldn't be the only defining factor in assessing an employee. You fire employees for not reaching sales goals after 6 months. Well after 6 months they start to get the hang of the job and know the customers and products and they are let go. You repeat this cycle and incur high turnover costs.

1042 Other Employee Reviews for Dillard's (View Most Recent)

My experience at Dillards is very unfavorable. That is why I quit.

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Dillard's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy to get hired and most co-workers were friendly. The starting pay was respectable.

Cons

Work environment, no real training, department managers do no training or try to develop salespeople so they can reach their full potential. You are judged by just one criteria and that is sales quota even though the job entails a lot more than just sales. If you do not meet your quota you are out. If you fall short of your quota you first get a decrease in pay. You must be a very aggressive person and the culture is not compatible with being a team player. The only way of getting a raise is to go over your quota. If you do, you get a slight raise but then your next quota is higher.

Your dept. managers should know how to develop employees, set the example and train one-on-one so all can reach their full potential. Company should judge an employee's performance based on all aspects of the job not just sales quota. Culture in the company should be for team effort instead of pitting individuals against one another. Work schedules should reflect a balance between work and private life.

Good Pay, Bad Management

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Dillard's part-time for more than a year

Pros

Competitive Pay
    Great Sales
    Great Fellow Co-Workers

Cons

Management, Non-Flexible Scheduling , Exhausting, Stressful sales.

Treat people like they are humans, not animals.

There are newer employer reviews for Dillard's

Worked for Dillard's? Contribute to the Community!