Dillard's
www.dillards.com Little Rock, AR 5000+ Employees

Toxic Culture

Beauty Advisor (Former Employee)
Plano, TX

ProsHourly pay is well above minimum wage with commission

ConsThis is specifically in reference to the Cosmetics Department. Very unreasonable and unrealistic sales goals. Corporate pushes employees to harass and stalk customers to make a sale. In doing so, we lose more customers than gain sales.
We are never allowed to say "can I help you?" or any other line similar to this. In training, we are taught to spark a conversation about the customer's personal life( family, relationships, pets, etc). Most customers are put off by this. It wastes their time and they feel annoyed.
Management encourages backstabbing, stealing each other's sales and customers, and any other vicious tactics to promote competition. As a result, sales people argue in front of customers, and everyone comes to work looking over their shoulders.
Management has no regard for their employees. They have no sympathy for human life. Even when employees are hospitalized with proof, management will ignore it and still manage to embarrass and punish the employee.
Management breaks all types of labor laws. They embarrass and humiliate their employees when its review time. Sometimes they will even do it in front of coworkers.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop asking us to harass customers. There is nothing wrong with asking someone "can I help you?" Building relationships with customers take time and work. Some personalities click with others. Not every salesperson's personality can connect with every single customer. Asking customers about their personal life and harassing them is too much.
Sales goals shouldn't be the only defining factor in assessing an employee. You fire employees for not reaching sales goals after 6 months. Well after 6 months they start to get the hang of the job and know the customers and products and they are let go. You repeat this cycle and incur high turnover costs.

Not achievable goal

AREA SALES MANAGER (Current Employee)
    Daytona Beach, FL

I have been working at Dillard's full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Great beautiful product and sales Cons: ALOT of turn over in management and sales associates ... Pay cuts, a lot of yelling and screaming from upper management. Jobs and position… Advice to Senior Management: Be a little more humane No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Short of expectation for me

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Dillard's full-time for more than a year

Pros: Good salary for retail work Cons: Retail hours are bad and weekends aren't fun Advice to Senior Management: See both sides to a situation. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Dillard's.

Worked for Dillard's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dillard's reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dillard's CEO Bill Dillard II. All reviews posted anonymously by Dillard's employees.