Dillard's
www.dillards.com Little Rock, AR 5000+ Employees

Dillard's doesn't utilize TEAM selling only!

Sales Specialist (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at Dillard's full-time for more than a year

ProsPay is competitive. Our store always rewarded us for opening credit cards. We were given holiday lunches out on the dock. Contests were rewarding. Store manager was very friendly as were our area managers.

ConsKnow first hand what you are getting yourself into. You must make your numbers in order to stay an employee at Dillard's. There will be good days (good sales) and many bad days (hardly any sales).

Your co-workers will steal your customers and your sales if you don't watch them and then act surprised or defensive when you approach them. The more desperate your co-worker is to make her sales the more aggressive she will become in stealing your customer and that sale.

Your area manager will expect you to stop what you are doing to work on the visuals because they have a deadline to meet or a visit from someone in corporate. So, instead of you concentrating on customers, you will be moving fixtures and dressing mannequins. Well, there went your sales to your co-workers. You can't very well help a customer when you are moving fixtures, can you?

The area managers put a lot of extra pressure on the associates that they know they can get to start/finish a job on the floor as opposed to that associate working on making her day. So, if you are good at visuals, your area manager will come to you to do a floor set. There went your quota for the day. Just remember, it doesn't matter how helpful or how good you are on the floor with visuals and doing what your manager asks, because at the end of the day--your numbers speak volumes, NOT your display or your work ethics.

The area managers don't care who gets a sale or who loses a sale to another co-worker because of shadiness and aggressiveness on the floor. Welcome to the land of sharks and guess what, your area manager may act like she cares, she does not. Because at the end of the day, she will make her numbers.

If your are not making your numbers or are close to not making your numbers, don't expect to be coddled and comforted by the area managers. You are their weakest link and they will cut you in an effort to bring in a new employee.

As someone mentioned, you are a telemarketer for Dillard's--they don't market to their customers as other stores do. No commercials. Be prepared to make hundreds of phone calls. Don't think you can concentrate on what little customers are out on the floor, you are going to make phone calls and THEN you are going to write down the name and number of who you called. Your area manager will be harassing you throughout the day to make sure you are calling. So, as much as your area managers HATE to be micromanaged, they will micro-manage the heck out of you.

Be prepared to work shifts that are from 9:40 a.m. - 9:15 p.m. Be prepared to work your tush off during the holidays. You will want to, though. You need those numbers to pull you out of January's and February's slump. Also, be prepared to receive shifts during the stores slowest times, it happens.

Don't think that someone will save you when you are on the line--not making your numbers. They don't keep anyone. It doesn't matter how friendly you are, how much of a good employee you are, or how well liked you are by your co-workers or customers. There is no chance of them keeping you. Your numbers and credit cards are all they care about. Why would the store keep someone who can't maintain their SPH? You affect their own numbers.

YOU MUST MAKE YOUR SPH or you are OUT!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the SPH.

Exhausting

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Cedar Hill, TX

I worked at Dillard's part-time for more than a year

Pros: The pay was nice Employee discount Cons: They treat you like crap Expect you to keep up with a ridiculous quota It's an easy… Advice to Senior Management: Care more about your employers No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

I have been working at Dillard's

Pros: Employee discount Fast paced environment Cons: Upper store management needs to be re-evaluated Expectations are well over… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Dillard's.

Worked for Dillard's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dillard's reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dillard's CEO Bill Dillard II. All reviews posted anonymously by Dillard's employees.