Sales Specialist, Better Sportswear

Current Employee - Sales Specialist
Current Employee - Sales Specialist

I have been working at Dillard's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Earning potential. Weekly payroll. Professional atmosphere. Great merchandise. Good employee discounts. Generous spiffs and gratis. Wonderful clients/guests. Knowing that we are working for a "Better" Department Store with exceptional merchandise and sales associates.

Cons

Quota system creates a negative and combative work environment. Do not promise something and not deliver. We need to hear when we've done something wrong, but don't forget to tell us when we do something right.

Advice to Management

SHOW the associates how to use the tools provided to succeed. Proper training is essential to productivity.

Other Employee Reviews for Dillard's

1. one step in the right direction

Pros

positive reputation customer feedback teamwork study work customer service

Cons

Not clearly explained what teamwork means. Or how to do. Pay, not enough. Not everyone knows their responsibilities from day to day.

Advice to Management

Take in concideration when an employee has accumulated a number of thank you's from customers filling them out.

I'm a Master Cosmetologist. Why am I making minimum wage? I actually LOST clientele by coming to Dillard's "Aveda".

Current Employee - Stylist in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Stylist in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Dillard's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very nice massage lounge chair with remote in private room for massages, facials, and waxing. The Salon appears to have potential, if people actually knew it was even there.

Cons

This neglected Aveda Salon is not advertised by Dillard's. Dillard's itself is very uninviting from internal mall entrances. People are told that they have to pay for a full hair cut, even if all they want is a bang trim, and told that they are paying for the "Aveda experience", when even the managers don't know how to properly train new hires to provide Aveda's notorious Points of Difference.These people are turned away to tell their friends and family all about it. This has actually crippled the clientele I came with. Also, upper management treats the salon as just a retail operation, and discourages, stifles, and belittles the salon manager and stylists. As with the sales floor, if unattainable sales goals are not met, not only do you have to suffer at minimum wage, but you are written up at every review, until at 12 weeks from hire date, you are terminated. At this point, they expect Dillard's to keep the clients you came with. Coming into a failing salon is a challenge in itself. Hard work and even manual labor is not acknowledged. It doesn't matter if you have to scrub walls, chairs and sinks caked with lime build up for your clients' visit. Getting minimum wage for this is unacceptable, especially when Dillard's gripes about paying it to you when you don't make them double or more in sales. Word of mouth from other employees says that if you put in a two weeks notice to quit, and tell them you found another job, they have security escort you out on that day forever. The salon has been neglected for decades, and has been a sinking ship for awhile. New stylists and managers are being written up for not saving it fast enough. Very unfair. Employees are people with families and lives.

Advice to Management

See cons above.