Dillard's

There are newer employer reviews for Dillard's

Sales Specialist, Better Sportswear

Current Employee - Sales Specialist
Current Employee - Sales Specialist

I have been working at Dillard's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Earning potential. Weekly payroll. Professional atmosphere. Great merchandise. Good employee discounts. Generous spiffs and gratis. Wonderful clients/guests. Knowing that we are working for a "Better" Department Store with exceptional merchandise and sales associates.

Cons

Quota system creates a negative and combative work environment. Do not promise something and not deliver. We need to hear when we've done something wrong, but don't forget to tell us when we do something right.

SHOW the associates how to use the tools provided to succeed. Proper training is essential to productivity.

1245 Other Employee Reviews for Dillard's (View Most Recent)

Meh, it's a job.

Current Employee - Product Specialist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Product Specialist in Houston, TX

I have been working at Dillard's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

1. I work in an affluent area, so no one minds dropping several hundred dollars on luxury items.
    2. Excellent starting pay for a retail job that doesn't actually have that many responsibilities that are outrageous. Standard light housekeeping, organization of one's area, and maintaining visual merchandising standards in addition to sales and self-promotion of one's business through various mediums.
    3. Highly competitive SPH suits my control freak behavior. I already have command and knowledge of the luxury products I'm selling.
    4. Customers that come from the same background of affluence that I've come from. It's easy to relate to people from the same socioeconomic background and convince them to purchase luxury cosmetics and fragrances when you're of the mind that they're not the types to look for bargains. There are rarely poor people at my location.
    5. Some of my co-workers are decent people who are just as miserably annoyed and stressed with crumby management and sales quotas.
    6. The vendors for the fragrance department help with pushing product, and they will aide you in making sales goals as their motivated by their separate work environment. You learn a lot about specific products and how to sell if you pay attention to their words and sales techniques.
    7. Daily morning meetings in cosmetics to keep every one up to date about the gifts with purchase, promotions, and tips on how to improve sales.
    8. Cross-selling in different areas and at different counters to provide the customer with a better service experience; you can be someone's personal shopper if they're willing to let you, and you build a good repertoire with them.
    9. Builds experience to work at better department stores with more luxury products
    10. Cosmetics builds baskets to give to battered women's shelter out of gratis.

Cons

1. Despite the company's best effort to encourage dress within this decade, there's still a bunch of haggard women who think it's acceptable to wear jeans, yoga pants, baggy things, or extremely casual attire to their workplace. For example: Was once called out for wearing JCrew chinos, a Banana Republic button up, and a Talbot's scarf as casual dress by a chick without makeup in a maxi dress and a glorified tshirt. Not a fan of the laissez faire dress code within a fashion retailer's doors.
    2. Because the SPH has been one of the newer additions to Dillard's, older employees refuse to accept that others can sell in their department or counter. They will go as far as to tell customers to pick up their merchandise and bring it to them rather than walking them over and providing the selling experience that would otherwise take me away from sales from other people. Seriously poor coaching on offering a "five star selling experience" for the veterans.
    3. Credit card applications are a major hassle to acquire when it comes to selling smaller items to people who already have more than enough money to spend.
    4. Employees that are beyond lazy and do nothing more than clerk products. They insist on interacting with customers to make a sale, but they never end up making the person feel like they need to do this at Dillard's in the future. They don't have adequate knowledge, and it's infuriating to see someone like that only sell one item, when you could've sold them three or four.
    5. I was told that my work at Dillard's was more important than school. HAH!
    6. Being forced to apply for a Dillard's card to get the company discount.

Eliminate the training procedure of forcing everyone to experience every department in the store. Focus of sending employees to their respective areas to learn their product before they're forced to sell it.

one step in the right direction

I have been working at Dillard's

Pros

positive reputation
    customer feedback
    teamwork
    study work
    customer service

Cons

Not clearly explained what teamwork means. Or how to do.
    Pay, not enough.
    Not everyone knows their responsibilities from day to day.

Take in concideration when an employee has accumulated a number of thank you's
    from customers filling them out.

There are newer employer reviews for Dillard's