Working as a sales associate at Dillards

Former Employee - Mens Sales Associate  in  Tulsa, OK
Former Employee - Mens Sales Associate in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Dillard's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Depending upon your asm, you are usually rewarded for your efforts in sales and getting credit accounts applied for. My asm was a prince among men, so I was always richly rewarded for my efforts and attendance too. It takes that salesperson mentality of course
and you have to be very serious about getting the sale. The pay is good, if you keep your sales up. It is supposed to be a "team" effort, but the competition makes that nearly impossible most of the time. I enjoyed my stay there and if it were not for a job offer I simply could not refuse, I would still be there. It was difficult for me to leave.

Cons

Unfortunately it does pit you against your fellow associates for sales and can get ugly at times, if you let it. That is probably the worst thing about it. Not very good for making friends and such. Sales per hour is what it is all about, along with showing up for work everyday.

Perhaps find some way of actually getting people to work as a team without losing your sales and such.

Other Reviews for Dillard's

Gotta love retail....

Former Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Tampa, FL

I worked at Dillard's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you love retail, don't mind getting poked with sharp sticks, and have a knack for networking the right people, you will survive. If just surviving is your ambition...go for it.

Cons

Bully environment on the store side and the corporate side...you can not escape the level of ineptitude no matter where you go in the company..non existent support if you are moving between the store and corporate levels. They don't post open positions to get promoted. Extremely stagnant.

Cutting salaries and jobs may help your stock value, but it is a poor way to run a company and keep good talent. I'm so disappointed I chose this company upon graduating college. Don't promise what you cant deliver or set employees up for a losing proposition.

Great pay, burns you out.

Current Employee - Selling Specialist  in  Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Selling Specialist in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Dillard's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay is the best out of any other retailer. The work environment can be relaxed. Not micromanaged by managers.

Cons

No opportunity for advancement unless you suck up to managers. Because the company isn't hiring full- time employees anymore, for every one associate that quits, two are hired. The hiring managers (Operations) doesn't care about the quality of the sales people just the quantity. No training for new hires ( associates or management) which also makes me question why it is so difficult to be promoted. Also, if you don't meet your SPH quota you can and will get a pay cut. Worst part of the job.

Learn to promote your hard workers so they can recruit and train more sales people like them. Especially pacesetters. And get rid of the threat of a pay cut! Your employees will value their job more!

There are newer employer reviews for Dillard's.

Worked for Dillard's? Contribute to the Community!