Direct Energy

www.directenergy.com

Pretty decent for a call centre

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Brantford, ON (Canada)

Pros- The staff are pretty good - most co-workers are pleasant, team leads are all competent and helpful, and management is very approachable, helpful, and willing to help you out when you need it.
- Commissions are quite decent - I average about $3/hour worth, from a job that is not primarily sales, and I'm not the best saleswoman around.
- They're quite good about scheduling shifts(as long as you're not the sort of person who calls in sick every Saturday, at least). They're also quite accommodating to part-timers and to schedule-change requests. Just about everybody has a shift they want to work - night owls take afternoon shift, morning people like me get the 6 AM shifts, and they don't tend to bump you around after you're settled in. There's also large amounts of voluntary overtime, and zero mandatory, so you can basically choose how much you want to work as well.
- Training is comprehensive, well-taught, and paid.
- Any really nasty calls are usually the responsibility of some other department - if someone's not happy with their appointment, you just transfer to Scheduling. If there's an ugly billing dispute, it's almost always a Billing case.
- You can get a surprising amount of reading(or crossword puzzles, or whatever) done when calls are slow.
- A much better benefits package than most minimum-wage jobs - 80% coverage for medical/dental, plus insurance. It does cost about $15/week, though.

Cons- The biggest con is that it's a call centre job - you're making minimum wage, there's not much upward mobility, and you have to deal with screaming customers all the time. I enjoy it in the short term, but it is not a career.
- The computer programs are a bit archaic, and there's a lot of hidden pitfalls you never quite realize until someone tells you about them after you've already screwed up.
- You will spend a lot of time cleaning up some other agent's messes. As much as the established call centres are good about training, the people who work from home, and the one new call centre that has zero veterans are both pretty bad about doing stupid things that wind up on your lap.
- There's a ton of fiddly little details to remember. It doesn't bother me, but some people do quite obviously struggle with it.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut down on the number of different micro-departments - there's no reason to have a separate plumbing department instead of just training the HVAC guys on plumbing calls, for example(it's literally a one-day training class, and all the transfers we have to do annoy customers). The fact that we have no less than four billing departments is even crazier. Also, Customer Care is persistently understaffed, which just slows everybody down, so either cut their workload or raise their numbers.

Working at Direct Energy was not a bad experience

Customer Service Representative/DISPATCH (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Direct Energy as a contractor for less than a year

Pros: work form home flexible shift , choose your own shift and availability great… Cons: not enough training , sometimes unprofessionalism Advice to Senior Management: Make enough time for training to have reps more prepared… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Constanly Changing Working Environment- Overal is okay

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Direct Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros: Good benefits, flexible work hours, great people.It was great company… Cons: Low Morale because of constant changing. Headquarters are being relocated… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Direct Energy.

Worked for Direct Energy? Contribute to the Community!