Stable above average job...A good career start for new agents.

Current Employee - Insurance Agency Manager  in  Orlando, FL
Current Employee - Insurance Agency Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Direct General

Pros

This is my experience here at Direct for the last 9.5 years. Every job will have its positives and negatives and I will have to be fair. Many times it also depends on who your District Manager and upper management is, because it makes a big difference on your work environment. For the pros: stable job environment, good benefits with 401k matching, consistent raises all the years I've been here with the exception when the economy went downhill the last 2-3 years. This year we had raises again. They try to offer more contests and awards for agents, prizes and money . Top agent this year wins a Nissan Juke. They also had a company wide contest to win a trip for two to an all expense paid Las Vegas trip. At meetings, they have purchased lunch for us many of the times. Commission this year is better with the new program they're testing right now that I'm doing, it brings in more money for the agent but not having to be a pushy sales person through ancillaries. It's great for both agent and customer. They're offering more discounts: multi-product discount on life insurance for the customer, offering them an even lower down payment with monthly payment going up by only a small portion. Homeowners, prior insurance discounts and safety feature discounts as usual. The company also pays for all the agents continued education and this year they raised the days for pto, so we can have more time off. I also see a positive in the company when it comes to their sales training through webinars and classes. I believe we all can gain some knowledge from the information that has been given to us for current and future use. Agents are assigned in offices around Florida...you have rules to follow everyday and tasks to accomplish, but it's a more laid back environment than call centers that watch and time your every move. Many of the offices in Florida have been rebranded and renovated for a new "cleaner" look. I myself appreciate the improvements within the last year or so.

Cons

This is an insurance job but also a sales job. Upper management and the company as a whole will always focus on lots of numbers and goals. Goals daily and monthly and the daily task of calling out reminders sending postcards can become repetitive. Were now accepting emails so that some of this work can be reduced. This job now is focused more than ever on marketing..local area networking and dealerships. If you don't like marketing or sales, this would not be a job for you. This is a large nonstandard company and is in at least 14 states. It was once public on the Nasdaq, but the last few years have become privately owned by an investment company, not sure that's a good thing, they tend to be pushier for sales. For the cons (through my experience): not a lot of options for advancement since the corporate office is in Nashville TN. You can start as an agent, then agent manager, district manager, territory manager and so forth. When you first start, you will be in a training class, but you will mainly learn through the person or people you work with in the office. When an office needs maintenance, the manager can call or email office services, they will get help out right away most of the time to take care of things for you, the only downside for me is I wish there was a cleaning company for restrooms and such, I don't mind cleaning everything else though. Security reasons is a con for me due to some office locations. You will be mystery shopped,graded, phone tested on quotes from anonymous people from the home office. You also have to deal with different kinds of clients and personalities. They tend to be harder to deal with a down economy and raising insurance prices. Another con for me right now is our customer service department when it comes to binding policies over the phone. Recently, due to more fraud in FL, there have been more strict underwriting rules when it comes to showing proof of documentation (residence, discounts, inspections, signatures) that we have to have from clients. Many of the problem policies are coming into the office for us to resolve due to uprate letters that they get. When I help clients in the office, not too many uprate letters go out because I get everything at that time. A few is ok, but a few times a day is a lot of work and aggravation. I'm sure customer service department is working on the agents who are doing this because I heard they are strict on the reps over there in the past. In claims, I've heard good experiences and bad experiences. The clients who has a hard time getting through claims sometimes, I call for them, I generally get in the same day. Sometimes you just hear voice messages, but most of the time they call back. Many of the clients have a hard time understanding the phone options somtimes. They are open M-F 830-500. It should be longer or 24 hours. I heard they are working on extending that time as well as more supervisors taking over that department. As before and how the system was set up... ancillary sales were a big focus and I see that favoritism happens from upper management because the agent makes them "look good" in numbers. I can see that it still happens now, but less due to the new system. Also In my previous experience, I was more unhappy when I had a district manager who was micro managing over everything. I believe in motivation and positivity. If I'm doing what I have to do, don't make me feel as though I'm incompetent. This particular DSM means well and have been good to me, but micro managing is a bit tough for me and others who have been here so long and truly knows their job very well. It maybe a control thing,especially when I was taking trash out one day, came back and she looked at her watch as if I took too long. That's just one example. Those days are behind me now with a new DSM. I do my work as I should and is more happy with my job. Every experience is different. Like I said, it's a good start up company, but they've done well for me the last few years I can' t complain there are worst jobs out there. I've accomplished all my insurance licenses through here..and in the last 2-3 years I've completed my bachelors in business on my own terms. Through my learning experiences here, my licenses and my education, I believe I come out a more knowledgeable person.

Be honest with your employees, motivate them through positivity not negativity, power or intimidation, trust them unless they have given you enough reasons to not be. Don't micro manage, it makes them feel like they're in grade school. This would bring out the best in people and more respect for upper management. I understand at the same time, there are problem employees, those are people who deserves to be written up and such, but use your best judgement but be fair. Thank you.