Discount Car and Truck Rentals

www.discountcar.com

Treat this job as purgatory

Service Attendant (Former Employee) Milton, ON (Canada)

ProsWhen you're working with a good team, it can take a bit of the sting off this job. The staff and branch manager at the Milton location were a fantastic group of people. Plus it's nice to be able to try out different cars for free. Health benefits are also decent. It's certainly not the worst I've ever had.

ConsDiscount is probably one of the cheapest companies I have ever worked for. Locations are often understaffed, there's a perpetual shortage of cars in fleet, and supplies and equipment given to stores is often inadequate. Stores are often left to decay and just basic building maintenance is a slow process. Given the staffing situation, it's difficult just getting the tools you need because nothing is couriered out. Everything must be picked up from their distant head office by branch staff.

Upper management's treatment of front line employees also leaves a lot to be desired. You're never made to feel like you're part of the company's vision. Upper management will often talk to their underlings as if they are mentally challenged, or potential thieves. There's plenty of horror stories. They'll follow you around on drives to make sure you're not joyriding, or talk down to you like you're six. I stress that it's not the branch managers doing this, but the ops managers and district ops managers. The branch managers are often left to do the best job they can with the tools they have.

The pay and hours are also pretty bad. In the three years I worked there, I never once received a raise or promotion despite doing far beyond my job description. They only pay us underlings minimum wage to act as a cleaner, driver, vehicle maintenance, and often double duty as counter/reception. It's insulting to have so many duties yet receive the same amount of pay as the kid working in the mall who sits and plays games all day. The long 11 hour days (10.5 officially) in a high stress environment make work/life balance in the week difficult. Especially for employees with children. You do get an hour lunch, but no breaks. Because of this, there is a high employee turnaround. Thus a store may have one knowledgeable individual and the rest completely new.

The company does promise promotion for employees but I've found they rarely hire internally. It can take several years for someone to work their way up to a branch manager. Rather than wait, they'd just rather hire outsiders. This further adds to the disorganization because many have never worked in this industry before.

If you're considering taking a job here, I'd look elsewhere. In the same industry, Discount's competitors offer higher pay and better treatment.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to upper management would be to treat your employees like human beings, not cogs in a machine. You're loosing all your talented and dedicated people because they have no incentive to keep working there. As soon as another job pops up, they're gone. Employee morale is in the toilet, and has been there for a long time. That's frankly embarrassing and doesn't reflect well on the reputation of the business.

Senior management should also seriously rethink how middle managers in charge of their territories and districts are trained. They severely lack the leadership skills necessary to run a successful business.

disorganization in the Branches

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Discount Car and Truck Rentals

Pros: good working at the local level ,when you have enough and… Cons: Head office far removed from field operation ,all supplies are to come from head… Advice to Senior Management: Check out what is going on in the Branches away… More

best job i've had yet!

Client Sales Specialist (Current Employee) Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Discount Car and Truck Rentals

Pros: full time, benefits, flexibility of management. time off requests granted as long as you ask before the schedule is posted. really fun people to work… Cons: long hours-44 + hours a week. most shifts are 10 or 11 hours long. it's not a job you can just clock out of at… Advice to Senior Management: my manager is great. well organized, pays attention to detail and makes sure that they speak with all staff individually just to make sure they… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Discount Car and Truck Rentals.

Worked for Discount Car and Truck Rentals? Contribute to the Community!