Discount Tire

There are newer employer reviews for Discount Tire

True integrity

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Humble, TX
Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Humble, TX

I worked at Discount Tire full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Never before have I worked with a group so tightly knit. Always willing to work with a schedule. And always wanting to promote from within. Unfortunately I had to leave the company because of family trouble that mandated I take over the family business but The Upper managament did everything they could to try and keep me on.

Cons

You have to be willing to break a sweat and get dirty. This company is amazing. The work is hard and messy. The hours can be long. But the Job is stable and if you are willing to work hard they are willing to promote.

Keep up the awesome work.

46 Other Employee Reviews for Discount Tire (View Most Recent)

Discount Tire is a great company but ultimately you don't realize how much you missed your family until you move on!!

Former Employee - Assistant Manager (Salesman) in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager (Salesman) in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Discount Tire full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Compensation for Tire Techs ranges from $9 to $13 hourly. Assistant Managers earn between $33K to start to well over $50K after many years on the job. Store Managers earnings potential are vast as they are the only store position to bonus quarterly off the stores bottom line profit. I would estimate the median annual compensation including salary and bonus for store managers to be around $100K. Most profitable store managers can earn upwards of $200K yearly. Discount Tire's medical, dental and vision insurance is above average but expect to pay almost $100 per week for employee and family. The company matches contributions into a 401K. Company sponsors a family picnic, numerous atta-boy trips and a hugely extravagant Christmas party every year. As an assistant manager or store manager you will find that Discount Tire rarely misses an opportunity to show you that you are working for the biggest, best and most profitable tire company in the world.

Cons

Assistant Managers and Store Managers work 50 to 65 hours per week so don't plan on spending much more than an hour or so with your kids before bedtime. Paycheck doesn't change much at all whether you have a week of easy 10 hour days or a grueling week of 12+ hour days. Sunday is always one of your 2 days off due to all stores being closed. This isn't bad in itself except rarely will your other day off coincide with Sunday unless expressly requested in advance and as long as no one who has more seniority than you wants that Saturday or Monday off. I think most people would agree that whether you work 40 hours or 60 hours a week, two consecutive days off is the best stress relief otherwise you just never seem to be able to unwind and recharge your batteries. Also unless you are 18 to 20 years old and/or in incredibly good shape rest assured Discount Tire will affect you physically. You are constantly bending, squatting, twisting, lifting, standing for hours on end, kneeling, climbing tire racks, scaling flights of stairs all while enduring the harshest of weather extremes and damaging your hearing slowly over many years of impact guns and air tools being used with no hearing protection in place. Don't forget all the wonderful dust and other airborne contaminants that you breathe in every day as hubs and mounting surfaces are buffed and blown off. Also you will want to keep in mind that you will most likely work in a store where there is at least one, if not several coworkers with whom you are forced to work with every day who make you want to quit. Have fun dealing with the frustration that these people will usually be held in the highest regard among regional staff and will probably be promoted before you due to their uncanny ability of making the store run by strong arming everyone who gets in their way or speaks out.

I believe that in Discount Tire's early days an employee’s ability to build strong relationships with customers and conduct himself in a professional manner were the building blocks to a long career. Couple that with strong salesmanship and an ability to train and lead a team and on paper you have a successful Discount Tire Manager. I came to realize throughout my career however, that core values like these were so often overlooked and undervalued. You have some amazing people working for you, but you also have a bunch who are rotten to the core. Very little effort ever seems to be placed on weeding out the "renters" who come to life when the AVP's BMW or Mercedes pulls into the parking lot. It is these people constantly mistreating those around them that ruin it for everyone else and unfortunately I saw so many great people who truly loved your company (including myself) go by the wayside. I believe that there are so many things that Discount Tire is the best at, but I know that there is always room to "continually and strategically improve." Future success will depend on the company turning more attention to finding new ways to ensure integrity, honesty, professionalism and fairness are exhibited in every store and among all employees.

It was ok but it needed alot of guidance and leadership.

Former Employee - Tire Tech in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Tire Tech in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Discount Tire

Pros

Learning the skills of the trade tire fitment, mounting, balancing, safety, and repairing tires. Discounts on products.

Cons

Leadership and teamwork lacks. If someone is slow or lazy you suffer when they slack off. When you cannot find a product because someone doesnt put it back in the right place you risk customer wait time and lose sales.

A thoroughly clean, organized, and clear communication store is the only way to be successful and achieve higher sales, lower customer wait times, and expand company growth. Too many times I've seen and experienced not being able to find products, cant find tools, machines not working, tools broken, and other higher up employees discounting products for no reason. I achieved high sales (not only on price per unit, but also in numbers per unit) and certs on tires, while other employees discounted tires basically giving them away, didn't offer certs and played around. The problem I saw with this was, less money from sales equaled less money for hourly workers, less hours for hourly workers, basically job security. Real Example: I had a customer sold on low pro michelin tires and certificates for his wives SUV coming in to get them put on, he talked to another sales associate the sales associate went on to sell him on yokos which were over $100 less per tire, and were supposed to be hitting our sales goal..... If not for employees like that we could of hit $500,000 for the month instead of $450,000.... Absolutely ridiculous, I refuse to work for a company that would allow that to happen and basically allow employees to shoot them selves in the foot and continue on as if nothing happened, with an "oh well there is always next time" attitude with out changing pace, and raising the stakes, to accomplish the goals! The company could be amazing and offer more pay and benefits, but with "bug employees" it will remain a so so company. Advice, weed out all "non hackers" and for the "go getters" hold on to them by offering more pay and career advancement. Run it like the military, strictness is in order!

There are newer employer reviews for Discount Tire