Perfect highschool job

Former Employee - Tire Tech in Texas City, TX
Former Employee - Tire Tech in Texas City, TX

I worked at Discount Tire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work ethic actually reflects on the check stub (hard workers are rewarded) most of the time. Easy job to maintain even as a highschool student (and not every HS student has the opportunity to drive a Jaguar!!! no matter how brief). Fast paced, competetive, mostly friendly and forgiving of the clumsy.

Cons

Management wasn't very good with preventing employee conflicts having to do with payrates (someone snuck through the files). Favoritism fed to co-workers "power of influence" for personal gain. No matter what I ate..... I couldn't gain an ounce.....

Advice to Management

None.

Other Employee Reviews for Discount Tire

1. When you can't take it a minute more, they sweeten things up.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Roy, UT
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Roy, UT

I worked at Discount Tire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay for a high school student or graduate. Generous bonuses. Advancement opportunities for any hardworking, committed employee. Good benefits for full-time employees.

Cons

If you are able to acquire a position as an assistant manager, you are paid a salary instead of hourly. You will be required to work no less than 44 hours a week. At my store, we averaged 50. After promotion, I made LESS money every hour.

2. Great perks family oriented

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Flint, MI
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Flint, MI

I worked at Discount Tire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great perks, Familial environment, you are given every opportunity to fail or succeed as you see fit. Still the favored of all my previous employers.

Cons

Long hours... LONG LONG HOURS. You will be expected to work between 10 to 12 hours as management a minimum of 5 day a week. so upwards of 60 hrs is not uncommon but still a great place to work.