Discover

www.discoverfinancial.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Discover

They call their IT department "Business Technology", and they meant it.

Former Employee - Consultant in Riverwoods, IL
Former Employee - Consultant in Riverwoods, IL

I worked at Discover full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Some very great people to work with, inside of a good culture. At its core, Discover cares about the employees and even the communities in which they work. I volunteered 4 years in a row for building playgrounds in areas around Chicagoland. It fostered teamwork that you simply can't achieve in the office. At some point long ago, they renamed their IT department "Business Technology" claiming that their technology is so important to their business. I'm not sure that it goes much beyond claim anymore - it used to though. They can be very flexible about "working from home" and used to provide very good time off banks (I received up to 6 weeks / year, for example).

Cons

Moved to implement ITIL methodologies about 5 years ago, but did so via force rather than training personnel and explaining how/why it's useful to the company as a whole. Over time it's worked out, but it's ultimately what drove me to leave. Also, it can be difficult to continue to move up the ladder within IT (non-application development) as there's very little growth in that area. In BT, there are some strong personalities who don't like to be told "no", even when using constructive criticism.

Take the 360 degree reviews to heart, and listen to both your direct reports as well as those impacted by directives and initiatives that are undertaken. Be sure that teams understand their impact to the overall company, so that the feel better motivated by their day-to-day.

596 Other Employee Reviews for Discover (View Most Recent)

Great company for an internship/career

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Riverwoods, IL
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Riverwoods, IL

I worked at Discover as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly company that ensures that you feel comfortable in your job and always willing to help. There was never a time where I felt out of place or lost as to what I should be doing. The work environment is very nice and the salary is competitive with great benefits. I was very glad to have the opportunity to work there.

Cons

The work load is seemingly slow at times, or at least in my department it was. Due to the company being very large, there is a lot of red tape that hinders the ability to complete something in a finite amount of time.

Keep up the friendly atmosphere, but do more to create a work driven environment so that productivity could increase.

A good place to work

Current Employee - Senior Manager in North Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in North Chicago, IL

I have been working at Discover full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good life work balance, generous vacation time, level of salary comparable to similar jobs in the area, most colleagues are caring and helpful

Cons

Some times the corporate politics may play a strong role. You have to fight for a deserved promotion because it may depend on the upper level support you have. Some people stays on job doing nothing and having bad influence on others.

Promote fair treatment of employees but still need to get rid of those unneeded people to make company leaner.

There are newer employer reviews for Discover