Discovery Communications
corporate.discovery.com Silver Spring, MD 5000+ Employees

Don't Work for the Discovery Education Division

Silver Spring, MD

ProsSome very smart and talented people. Globally recognized brand. Diverse portfolio content. Cutting edge of the digital transformation in education.

ConsJust to be crystal clear and concise, here are my cons as a top, award winning performer at Discovery Education.

There is no work/life balance. You will not move up no matter how well you perform. Your compensation will be far less than any other company. You will be promised everything and they will not deliver on any promise. Even if you apply for a position in the company, they will not consider you. They won't even return an email or phone call. HR is non-existent. They refuse to speak with you, return a call or email. They do a reorg every single year and it's seen as a great thing by those at the top because they've lost all touch with the actual workers.

Very poor organizational structure that is extremely top heavy with VPs. The VPs that are brought on-board, 99% of the time come from outside the company, hired to secure a contract with a particular school district or a family friend of the senior leadership. A common con at Discovery is cronyism and it's not even disguised on the education side. There is no career path. They are very blatant about this fact, almost prideful. Their form of career path is, do something great and great things happen. Then they hire a family friend or someone from the outside. Merit has no place on the education side. The extremely few that get promoted are not promoted based on performance. In fact, they may be one of the poorest performers, yet advance because of cronyism. Those that actually perform, close multi-millions in deals, are consistently overlooked and under-appreciated. Discovery Education has one of the worst compensation packages in the industry, yet they expect you to work more days and spend more time on the road then any industry. You will be expected to spend at a bare minimum 100 days on the road. Some spend 150+.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have some talented people, but they will leave unless you lessen the work load. I had high hopes for this company, but I can no longer justify the extreme travel for little pay and zero recognition. So, I'm taking your advice to "Make your own career path". I'm leaving.

Looks Great From the Outside, but Miserable on the Inside

I have been working at Discovery Communications full-time

Pros: Good benefits, doctor's office inside the building. Cons: Discovery looks like a great place to work from the outside, but once you're in it's quite evident that it's a grind and bureaucracy runs… Advice to Senior Management: Trim the fat from the many layers of management that exists, practice what you preach when it comes to work/life… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

More conformist culture than other LA/Hollywood-based entertainment companies

Vice President (Former Employee)

I worked at Discovery Communications full-time

Pros: Among the DC-area media & entertainment companies, has a broader range of opportunities. A decent choice… Cons: My impression/observation was that creative execs who were responsible for the company's best performing television programs were not rewarded nearly to the extent they might… More
There are newer reviews on Discovery Communications.

Worked for Discovery Communications? Contribute to the Community!

Discovery Communications – Why Work for Us?

Discovery Communications (Nasdaq: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK) is the world's #1 nonfiction media company reaching more than two billion cumulative subscribers in over 220 countries and territories. Discovery is dedicated to… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Discovery Communications reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Discovery Communications CEO David M. Zaslav. All reviews posted anonymously by Discovery Communications employees.