Dishcrawl

www.dishcrawl.com
  www.dishcrawl.com
There are newer employer reviews for Dishcrawl

Most disorganized employer ever.

Former Employee - Brand Manager in San Jose, CA
Former Employee - Brand Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Dishcrawl full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of room for creativity, empowerment, and growth.

Cons

New things launched every week or so, little follow-through. Given conflicting tasks. 10-12 hour work days even during "non-peak" times (weeks without events). Unrealistic expectations from senior management, and being told to demand equally unrealistic things from employees (ambassadors).

Look at other start-ups in the Bay Area in terms of structure, compensation, product/city launches, and growth. Stop trying to half-ass a city launch. Take your time, research, and invest resources. You dont have a second chance for a first impression. Don't drop that massive load on a single person (Ambassador). Compensate employees adequately ("if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys to work for you"). Do not screw Ambassadors over by demanding too much and proving them too little compensation- many of them have strong ties in their community and the restaurant owners, you will never be welcome there again (as you may already know).

26 Other Employee Reviews for Dishcrawl (View Most Recent)

Stress with a capital "S"

Former Employee - Ambassador
    Former Employee - Ambassador

I worked at Dishcrawl full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I got to get out around town on a daily basis and meet lots of people at events.

Cons

When I first began with the company (part-time), I was ecstatic and anxious to bring the concept to my city. After several successful events, I made the decision to go full-time and it wound up not being what I expected. I felt as if I was a prisoner and nothing I did was ever good enough. With multiple video calls each day, it was impossible to get things done. God forbid if I only tweeted 30 times a day instead of 40. I spent so much time and money on gas and marketing and never earned it back. After having a new boss every week and seeing so many people let go, I decided to leave and it was the best decision I ever made. If you love food, feel like wasting time and earning an income is not important, this is the job for you.

Get more of a structure in place and deliver on your promises. Invest in your employees and you will be successful. Nothing is worse than constant turnover. My heart aches for those that have been used, especially those that made moves from other states.

This was a panic-attack inducing waste of my time and money.

Former Employee - Ambassador in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Ambassador in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Dishcrawl full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Learn how to use Twitter from a business standpoint.

Cons

No base salary, little to no money after that, crazy expectations, pyramid-scheme like business model. As ambassador, you put together a dining tour completely for free for five weeks. Don't expect more than 30% of the commission, EVER. That all goes to Dishcrawl HQ in California, when all they do is "coach" you (read: tell you to be more active on Twitter) over Skype.

If your first tour succeeds, then they start expecting more and more of you—more dining tours in more neighborhoods, and you'll incur lots of travel costs if you live in a big city like me that you'll never be reimbursed for. Next comes huge events like "Neighborfood" and "Taco Camp" that involve even more restaurants getting paid even less money, and you'll also be expected to find venues with cash bars for free, free tequila sponsors, etc.

Perhaps the worst part of this business plan is that they expect you to "launch" Dishcrawl in your city without so much of a dime of paid marketing or promotion, meaning it's your job to find newspapers, blogs, TV and radio stations, etc. to promote your event (again, for free). Even in a bigger city, you'll eventually run out of outlets to pitch this to—and then how are you supposed to sell tickets and get the word out? Twitter only gets you so far. The company will make you feel like this is your failure, and I personally also felt like I was letting the restaurants down, because they get a tiny profit margin and barely any promotion, even if the event sells out.

The ticket price is a good value for customers, and that's where the positives end. Oh, and headquarters is made up of a small handful of people who seemed almost brainwashed by the CEO, they have an aura of being outwardly kind but are absolutely cold and unyielding beneath the surface.

Rethink everything in your business model, and pay your employees. You're a novelty that wears off quickly, and you're neglecting that fact at your own peril.

There are newer employer reviews for Dishcrawl