There are newer employer reviews for Disney Interactive Studios

Rampant favoritism and politics.

Former Contractor - QA Tester in Glendale, CA
Former Contractor - QA Tester in Glendale, CA

I worked at Disney Interactive Studios as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, lot's of perks, fun environment when it's regular hours

Cons

Bad management in QA. Their favoritism, sexism, and game playing is well known by everyone around them. Terrible environment when OT hits and OT is constant. Walking on eggshells with stressed out management.

Do the job, stop screwing around so much, and weigh people on their merits, not how much they kiss your butt.

reviews filtered by
  1. Politics get in the way of great products

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Disney Interactive Studios full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Being part of a well-known and respected brand
    - Perks (Disneyland is free, discounts on all merchandise)
    - Interesting projects
    - Travel budget
    - Friendly coworkers

Cons

- Management abandons projects and changes their "strategy" every 3 months
    - Politics between studios, e.g. "the engineering team rejected another Disney studio's poor software solution, but if we use it anyway that other studio will like us better and we can then take over their projects! (Just like they took over our project last year..)"
    - Design by committee - usually a committee that is not familiar with the project. Slows down development and leads to mediocre results.
    - Project decisions are made behind closed doors, direct communication between studios is discouraged unless it goes through approved managers.
    - Promotions appear to be completely random; sometimes rewarding talented individuals, other times promoting slackers.

Communication is not a one-way street; if you hire competent engineers it is well worth eliciting their feedback before starting yet another project which inexplicably fails to meet an arbitrary deadline created by the marketing department.

A giant sinking ship

Former Employee - Artist in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Artist in Glendale, CA

I worked at Disney Interactive Studios full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- WDC as a company in general have great benefits and perks since they are a family company
    - WDC as a company actually care deeply about learning and offers classes and workshops for free
    - Pay is decent
    - The networking you get for working there, opens many doors
    - You work among the most talented and brightest peers

Cons

I've been at Disney Interactive close to 6 years to see all the BS that went down with the company. Ever since there terrible two took over Wadsworth's reign, it has been a giant nightmare. I literally have nightmares about working at Disney Interactive.

- Terrible upper management: Why does Disney hire people who do not come from the gaming industry and expect them to make good games? Baffles me.
    - They expect you to work long hours and even weekends and holidays.
    - Lots of layoffs and unstability
    - Despite having a huge array of IP to use, there is a lot of red tape. There is a lot of ''No, you can't do this, and you can't do that."
    - Disney Interactive cares more about making money more than putting out a good game.
    - The way management fires talented people, then hires people for half the pay to get the job done.

You should be ashamed yourselves.

There are newer employer reviews for Disney Interactive Studios