There are newer employer reviews for Disney Parks & Resorts

Fantastic, fun job, but not a great career path for college graduate

Former Employee - PhotoPass Photographer in Lake Buena Vista, FL
Former Employee - PhotoPass Photographer in Lake Buena Vista, FL

I worked at Disney Parks & Resorts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have never had more fun in my life than my 2 years working at Walt Disney World. You meet thousands of people from all over the world. It's amazing to think that you have so much fun working every day and get paid for it. I would never discount working here; just don't get stuck waiting for a better opportunity to come along.

Cons

Despite how fun the job is, the pay is really low. If you're a college graduate, look elsewhere or maybe only go after salaried jobs here. You're not going to make much money and while WDW is a great conversation piece for a resume, it may just end up delaying your career plans. It takes a really long time to move up from within the parks, which I learned from speaking to lots of cast members who were there a lot longer than me.

Advice to Management

At least make an effort to get to know your cast better. I worked at Magic Kingdom, so there were hundreds of us in the PhotoPass department alone. The top managers for PhotoPass were hardly ever around and it took meeting some of them more than 5 times for them to remember me.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

It's a Good Start, Great experience, before greater things!

Current Employee - Merchandise in Lake Buena Vista, FL
    Current Employee - Merchandise in Lake Buena Vista, FL

I have been working at Disney Parks & Resorts part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is my first Job here in America, my coworkers are from all over the states and the world, you learn about different cultures, you actually can practice and improve your English.

Cons

The Cons of this company depends on you, if you realize that there is no promotions for you, take action and look for other opportunities. Many people working there achieve great things, others leave and get their opportunities somewhere else. Don't get frustrated, take action and go for better things.

2. It takes a special person.

Former Employee - Lifeguard- Y&B in Lake Buena Vista, FL
    Former Employee - Lifeguard- Y&B in Lake Buena Vista, FL

I worked at Disney Parks & Resorts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits/perks are awesome. The job is perfect for a college program kid here to party or for someone interested in hanging out with a young crowd that changes out every semester. The best part is I now have connections around the world that will last a life time.

Cons

The recreation department is heavily scrutinized and micromanaged by a group of people ranging from leaders, safety auditors, Disney look auditors, recreation auditors, Disney auditors, and the people granting your lifeguard license. I had to leave due to constant suffocation. If you can get over people constantly breathing down your back and all the corporate bull S. associated with working at a company employing 60,000+ people, then it's not a bad gig at all.

Advice to Management

You have an exceptional group of cast members, empower them to do great things. A little autonomy proves to go a long way in the service industry. It also helps if you take time to listen to your subordinates as the majority of them are much more educated than more than half of the managers at the yacht and beach club.