There are newer employer reviews for Disney Parks & Resorts

Fantastic, fun job, but not a great career path for college graduate

Former Employee - PhotoPass Photographer in Lake Buena Vista, FL
Former Employee - PhotoPass Photographer in Lake Buena Vista, FL

I worked at Disney Parks & Resorts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have never had more fun in my life than my 2 years working at Walt Disney World. You meet thousands of people from all over the world. It's amazing to think that you have so much fun working every day and get paid for it. I would never discount working here; just don't get stuck waiting for a better opportunity to come along.

Cons

Despite how fun the job is, the pay is really low. If you're a college graduate, look elsewhere or maybe only go after salaried jobs here. You're not going to make much money and while WDW is a great conversation piece for a resume, it may just end up delaying your career plans. It takes a really long time to move up from within the parks, which I learned from speaking to lots of cast members who were there a lot longer than me.

Advice to Management

At least make an effort to get to know your cast better. I worked at Magic Kingdom, so there were hundreds of us in the PhotoPass department alone. The top managers for PhotoPass were hardly ever around and it took meeting some of them more than 5 times for them to remember me.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Guest Relations Host, Dream Team member and Coordinator

Former Employee - Guest Services in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Guest Services in Orlando, FL

I worked at Disney Parks & Resorts full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Absolutely incredible company to work for in terms of networking, co-workers, benefits-benefits-benefits, and learning how to make the magic!! The focus is on keeping the public happy and it spills over into work place too. An excellent place to learn the fine art of great guest service. Most days are a pleasure as happiness is very contagious. The company has a great resource in its onsite Disney University, which offers countless classes in everything from learning Excel spreadsheets to doing taxes and even how to write a resume. Cast members are offered onsite discounts and discounts at company owned enterprises and limited passes for family/friends to enjoy the parks with them. Cost of living in the area is lower then some other areas of the US.

Cons

Pay is very low and due to WDW's impact on the local economy they will remain low plus very weak unions (mostly due to right-to-work state laws), advancement withing the company can be more reliant on who you know and not so much on what you know or how hard you work. The actual advancement process is a series of interviews (panel) but getting into the interview process is less democratic. There were some unofficial reports by several senior cast-members that age discrimination in terms of advancement may be a real and unfortunate issue too.

Advice to Management

Don't forget that it takes people to make the dream come true and your cast are your first line of guests, treat them like gold and they will do the same to our paying guests.

Attractions Host

I worked at Disney Parks & Resorts

Pros

Great Leadership, Great Team, Great Experience. Greatest thing about Disney is the opportunity to expand and to grow. For sure a great environment to have a career.

Cons

Although there are lots of opportunities, not all the opportunities that you want will come at your time. Instead, it appears to follow "Disney time." Sometime Disney time may be faster than your time, other times slower.