DivX
www.divx.com San Diego, CA 150 to 499 Employees

What happened?

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA

ProsCool flexible place to work with a lot of very smart people. I'm sure a little bit of the old DivX is reminiscent, but it's seemed to have devolved into what is the competition doing, let's do that too. It has a nice open work environment.

ConsIt used to be an open and transparent place wtih lots of enthusiasm, but I think the mgmt now is too concerned with counting their money and playing it safe. They hire really talented people and don't let them shine. The place is ugly with gossip and politics and the "social club" promotions don't put the best people in the best positions. There is also a lack of leadership and decision making on projects. Plus, often work would get farmed out while senkior and competent people are stuck doing low level catch up work on the infamous DivX "fire drills". Almost all of the original visionaries are long gone.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart recognizing talent. You're not Sony so start moving quickly like a small nimble company. Bring back transparency. Give people some authority to make calls on projects and lose the group decision making that generally leads to people casting doubts instead of building products. Maybe senior mgmt needs a shakeup. Move in a spirited direction that says DivX and let people shine instead of becoming generic copycat company x with a $3 stock share.

DivX is a pretty great place to work if you like to manage yourself.

Product Marketing Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at DivX

Pros: Lots of exposure with senior management. Work closely with many different areas of… Cons: Not very much vision or direction. Tough to justify innovation with such a fluid business model, so often… Advice to Senior Management: It's OK to be wrong. Let's just start working in a direction - we can always… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Fun place to work...

I have been working at DivX

Pros: The people at DivX are great to work with. Most of them are people you would enjoy spending time with outside of work. … Cons: The management only manages, they do not lead well -- there is not a strong awareness among the "general… Advice to Senior Management: Lead more. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on DivX.

Worked for DivX? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DivX reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for DivX CEO David C. (Dave) Habinger. All reviews posted anonymously by DivX employees.