DivX
www.divx.com San Diego, CA 150 to 499 Employees

A nice ride, glad its over!

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at DivX

ProsWhen I started DivX was still in startup mode and I found the atmosphere exciting as well as a strong software challenge. There are / were talented people there and before the IPO lots of us really thought we were on the way to building a great company with real value to consumers.

ConsWhen I left, it was a boring cynical place with lots of money rolling out to the executives and very little sense of what rank + file did or should do. Way too many projects killed in the final hour. In fact, I could've taken the last year off and in terms of the work would've made no difference to the team productivity b/c all we did was build, test, and delete projects. Lots of churn at the mid-management level just left too much spaghetti as far as vision and execution of projects. The executives are now mostly former lawyers + mba's so the competency seems quite low up top.

Advice to Senior ManagementCash out and let someone with a real drive to succeed step in. Go jump with the golden parachute and give the ring to some internet savvy leaders who can make decisions, be bold, and make some moves.

What happened?

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at DivX

Pros: Cool flexible place to work with a lot of very smart people. I'm sure a little bit of the old DivX is reminiscent,… Cons: It used to be an open and transparent place wtih lots of enthusiasm, but I think the mgmt now is too concerned with counting their… Advice to Senior Management: Start recognizing talent. You're not Sony so start moving quickly like a small nimble company. Bring back transparency. Give people some authority to make calls… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

DivX is a pretty great place to work if you like to manage yourself.

Product Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA

I have been working at DivX

Pros: Lots of exposure with senior management. Work closely with many different areas of… Cons: Not very much vision or direction. Tough to justify innovation with such a fluid business model, so often… Advice to Senior Management: It's OK to be wrong. Let's just start working in a direction - we can always… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on DivX.

Worked for DivX? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DivX reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for DivX CEO David C. (Dave) Habinger. All reviews posted anonymously by DivX employees.