DivX

www.divx.com
  www.divx.com
There are newer employer reviews for DivX

A nice ride, glad its over!

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at DivX

Pros

When I started DivX was still in startup mode and I found the atmosphere exciting as well as a strong software challenge. There are / were talented people there and before the IPO lots of us really thought we were on the way to building a great company with real value to consumers.

Cons

When I left, it was a boring cynical place with lots of money rolling out to the executives and very little sense of what rank + file did or should do. Way too many projects killed in the final hour. In fact, I could've taken the last year off and in terms of the work would've made no difference to the team productivity b/c all we did was build, test, and delete projects. Lots of churn at the mid-management level just left too much spaghetti as far as vision and execution of projects. The executives are now mostly former lawyers + mba's so the competency seems quite low up top.

Cash out and let someone with a real drive to succeed step in. Go jump with the golden parachute and give the ring to some internet savvy leaders who can make decisions, be bold, and make some moves.

36 Other Employee Reviews for DivX (View Most Recent)

DivX is a pretty great place to work if you like to manage yourself.

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at DivX

Pros

Lots of exposure with senior management. Work closely with many different areas of the company to execute projects. Lots of responsibility, and every day is different.

Cons

Not very much vision or direction. Tough to justify innovation with such a fluid business model, so often times it takes a great deal of effort to get any new project rolling even if you have ROI justification.

It's OK to be wrong. Let's just start working in a direction - we can always change course once the ball is rolling but it's much harder to get things going from a standstill.

What happened?

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at DivX

Pros

Cool flexible place to work with a lot of very smart people. I'm sure a little bit of the old DivX is reminiscent, but it's seemed to have devolved into what is the competition doing, let's do that too. It has a nice open work environment.

Cons

It used to be an open and transparent place wtih lots of enthusiasm, but I think the mgmt now is too concerned with counting their money and playing it safe. They hire really talented people and don't let them shine. The place is ugly with gossip and politics and the "social club" promotions don't put the best people in the best positions. There is also a lack of leadership and decision making on projects. Plus, often work would get farmed out while senkior and competent people are stuck doing low level catch up work on the infamous DivX "fire drills". Almost all of the original visionaries are long gone.

Start recognizing talent. You're not Sony so start moving quickly like a small nimble company. Bring back transparency. Give people some authority to make calls on projects and lose the group decision making that generally leads to people casting doubts instead of building products. Maybe senior mgmt needs a shakeup. Move in a spirited direction that says DivX and let people shine instead of becoming generic copycat company x with a $3 stock share.

There are newer employer reviews for DivX