There are newer employer reviews for DivX

Great benefits, great team, mediocre vision and leadership in senior management.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at DivX

Pros

We as employees get away with a lot here with all the benefits provided by DivX; sometimes almost too a point of taking it for granted. There are a lot of smart, driven, multifaceted individuals that contribute to one of the most talented teams at any company.

When we all eventually need to move on for personal growth, career growth, etc, we will realize how much we had it good.

Cons

UItimately, even the best team coached poorly produces mediocrity and mediocre products. A good team needs a good visionary, a good leader, and a good mentor... sadly DivX suffers from what many other companies have too. The worst part is, as a small company, mediocrity simply pays the bills, not build a future.

Compensation is ok but by far career advancement is tough and often, showing mild favoritism. With a lack of corporate growth there just isn't anywhere to move to at the moment.

Honesty, transparency.

reviews filtered by
  1. Overall just a bad place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at DivX

Pros

- Vacation time (PTO) - 4 weeks
    - Casual environment
    - Heart and passion from the workers
    - Some fairly smart people

Cons

- Entirely too much politics
    - No chance to succeed if you are part of the "in" crowd
    - People are largely under utilized
    - Extremely weak management

Take advantage of the heart and soul of your employees - they want to see success and growth and the management does nothing to encourage and/or grow the business. If you aren't trying to grow the business, step aside and bring others to take over...

2. A nice ride, glad its over!

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at DivX

Pros

When I started DivX was still in startup mode and I found the atmosphere exciting as well as a strong software challenge. There are / were talented people there and before the IPO lots of us really thought we were on the way to building a great company with real value to consumers.

Cons

When I left, it was a boring cynical place with lots of money rolling out to the executives and very little sense of what rank + file did or should do. Way too many projects killed in the final hour. In fact, I could've taken the last year off and in terms of the work would've made no difference to the team productivity b/c all we did was build, test, and delete projects. Lots of churn at the mid-management level just left too much spaghetti as far as vision and execution of projects. The executives are now mostly former lawyers + mba's so the competency seems quite low up top.

Cash out and let someone with a real drive to succeed step in. Go jump with the golden parachute and give the ring to some internet savvy leaders who can make decisions, be bold, and make some moves.

There are newer employer reviews for DivX