DivX
www.divx.com San Diego, CA 150 to 499 Employees

fun but lacks a sense of direction

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA

ProsLooking for a relaxing environment where the lowest denominator is rewarded. You can think of it as your social club with a pay check. Go surfing, play soccer, basket ball, hit the gym all on company time. The monthly get togethers are great ways to go see free movie premieres and relax on the company dime. Also the maternity leave package is one of the better packages that I have seen and you do not even have to have a child to take the time off. The company also has a great laptop program, which is worth doing, because it is pretty unlikely that you will be able to take the time off to attend any classes.

ConsThere is no way to make a difference and there are many around you doing little getting rewarded for making mistakes. It really gets you down and is very demotivating. Why work hard to fix things, when others show up late to work and play games and still have the ability to veto your work, because it makes them look unproductive.

Advice to Senior Managementfigure out what direction you want to go by asking your employees and partners for input. Set a good path and stick with it. Reward successes not fixed failures.

DivX was a fun place to work.... at one time

Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at DivX

Pros: DivX has a wonderful group of bright engineers. The camaraderie in my team was superb and we made the best of the otherwise dismal situation.… Cons: I'm not sure where to start! The CFO Dan Halvorson has a reputation for layoffs and cash-outs. He was rumored to have said, "I love… Advice to Senior Management: Get rid of Halvorson, he is dragging morale down all on his own. No… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Divx is a great place to work if you stay out of the politics.

San Diego, CA

I have been working at DivX

Pros: Work/life balance, benefits, casual work environment, fun, laid back. Cons: Ever changing strategy, and people are feeling a little uneasy. Alot… Advice to Senior Management: Take stock in current employees and look at the talent… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on DivX.

Worked for DivX? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DivX reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for DivX CEO David C. (Dave) Habinger. All reviews posted anonymously by DivX employees.