DivX

www.divx.com
  www.divx.com
There are newer employer reviews for DivX

fun but lacks a sense of direction

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at DivX

Pros

Looking for a relaxing environment where the lowest denominator is rewarded. You can think of it as your social club with a pay check. Go surfing, play soccer, basket ball, hit the gym all on company time. The monthly get togethers are great ways to go see free movie premieres and relax on the company dime. Also the maternity leave package is one of the better packages that I have seen and you do not even have to have a child to take the time off. The company also has a great laptop program, which is worth doing, because it is pretty unlikely that you will be able to take the time off to attend any classes.

Cons

There is no way to make a difference and there are many around you doing little getting rewarded for making mistakes. It really gets you down and is very demotivating. Why work hard to fix things, when others show up late to work and play games and still have the ability to veto your work, because it makes them look unproductive.

figure out what direction you want to go by asking your employees and partners for input. Set a good path and stick with it. Reward successes not fixed failures.

36 Other Employee Reviews for DivX (View Most Recent)

DivX was a fun place to work.... at one time

Former Employee - Developer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Developer in San Diego, CA

I worked at DivX

Pros

DivX has a wonderful group of bright engineers. The camaraderie in my team was superb and we made the best of the otherwise dismal situation. The HR department is better than most in that they truly seem to care about the needs of the employees. There is an opportunity to do something big, and that can be exciting as well.

Cons

I'm not sure where to start! The CFO Dan Halvorson has a reputation for layoffs and cash-outs. He was rumored to have said, "I love it when people quit". It's gotten to the point where Halvorson avoids the office and never sticks around at company events. I suppose he knows he isn't welcome. The constant layoffs and lack of openness to employees gives people an sense of uneasiness and all you can really do is speculate what they're upto. At least with Jordan, he would be straight with you. The Hell regime seems pretty secretive and sometimes dishonest most times. The Stage 6 debacle was a train wreck. So much of the company's resources were thrown at this pig and look what came of it? Nothing. A number of long time employees left around this time? Coincidence? Maybe, but not likely. I am guessing the founders got tired of the games and politics.

Get rid of Halvorson, he is dragging morale down all on his own. No one likes him or wants him there. Be more honest and forthcoming with employees.

Divx is a great place to work if you stay out of the politics.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at DivX

Pros

Work/life balance, benefits, casual work environment, fun, laid back.

Cons

Ever changing strategy, and people are feeling a little uneasy. Alot of it has to do with the constantly changing technology market.

Take stock in current employees and look at the talent you already have vs. hiring from outside.

There are newer employer reviews for DivX